Wednesday, January 8, 2025

A Diagnosis, an Admission, and Ol' Blue Eyes

This is what you look like when you have spent most of the day playing with Tammo.


Tired. Worn Out. Flopping on the couch to catch your breath and then some Zs.

This is what you look like after Nash and Mama have visited and the house has been turned into a dog park/playground for the day.


Tired. Worn out. Flopping on the couch (and floor) to catch your breath and then some Zs.

The dogs had a grand day yesterday, for sure. Tuesday is not the usual day to get together, but Teacher Daughter Lisa had to take Molly to Indianapolis to see a veterinarian specialist and left Nash with us while she and Molly were out of town. 

I haven't written about it, but Mama has been seeing vets for well over a year, trying to get a diagnosis for what we thought was a very bad allergy.


She would get raised black bumps on her muzzle, chin, and body that would crust over and then fall off. (Aren't her eyes gorgeous?)


The membranes around her eyes would swell and weep or get black and crusty.

Our vet care is second to none, but after a year of meds, diet changes, and more, our vet sent Mama to a specialist in Indianapolis last fall where we finally got the diagnosis figured out. 

New meds and special baths have done the trick and at yesterday's check up, Lisa learned that what it was that Mama had is almost completely gone. Lisa will continue the meds and baths a little longer and then have another check up down in Indy.

I'm glad Molly is so much better and almost healed.

Yesterday I showed you Cassidy, today I share another Stablemate that is new to my herd.


Breyer shrank down the Traditional sized Missouri Fox Trotter in 2020.


The Traditional sized Missouri Fox Trotter.


The smaller version doesn't have those pretty braids and ribbons


but it is still a very nice piece in the Stablemate size.


I think I have actually entered the realm of Stablemate collector. I admitted that to myself when I was trying to figure out a way to display them all. 


I already have a Stablemate barn display but it's full. And, just as there are in the Traditional scale, there are shelf eating Stablemates who don't fit well on it. (See Cassidy at an angle on the bottom shelf?)


I have two sets of plastic risers but again, they don't work for the shelf eaters.

Probably my biggest problem, though, is that however you display them, Stablemates are so lightweight, they fall over very easily. I could try Quake hold, museum wax, or sticky wax, but those leave a mess, both on the shelves and on the models' hooves.


I would love to find something similar to these show stands that many of us use for live showing. Does anyone make something like this for minis? If you know of someone who does, please email me (horsiemama8@gmail.com.)

Any display suggestions are appreciated! 


Breyer announced another BreyerFest Limited Edition yesterday - Halcyon Night Life aka Ace.



The real horse has one eye that is half blue


and Breyer has replicated that on the model. I've seen bi-eyes, lizard eyes, and tri-eyes (as well as the plain ol' black dot eyes), but I've never seen a halvsie eye. Pretty cool!

This piece will be available to all ticket holders. The mold is new and wildly popular - my guess is he will sell out fast.

Today I am back in the sewing room. Despite all the doggie joy and roughhousing in my home yesterday, I was able to get started on a men's trade shirt. I'll show pictures tomorrow, but I can share this - it has elephants on it!

Stay 'tooned! 




4 comments:

  1. Triple mountain sells these! You might find them helpful for your SMs!
    https://triplemountain.com/products/horse-rack-stablemate-size?_pos=2&_sid=a66af16f4&_ss=r

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her doggie looks like she has a bad case of demodectic mange. Cause is autoimmune as far as I remember. Hope whatever it is stays gone! A while back I saw some examples of SM collections kept in wall cases for baseballs or d&d figures. Sold on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Admitting one's addictions is good for the soul, so they say. I admitted I collected SMs and then tried to control it by sticking to one color. Your lovely TWH is one I have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps Blu Tack to hold the hooves of those Stablemates that you don't collect. It is available in other colors besides blue. I am so happy for Molly ! Poor girl has been through so much in her life but looking at her now, she has really blossomed.

    ReplyDelete