Second Post of the Day
The Horsie Mama Horsey Super Bowl II (HMHSB II) will be held the same day as football's Super Bowl, February 9. Everyone who enters will be put into a spin to win for a prize, and the person who actually gets the most questions correct will also get a prize. (Prizes to be announced.)
This year's theme is horsey books. (Yep, the teacher in me has awoken!)
A little background on this year's theme. When I was in elementary school, every month we had the opportunity to order from Scholastic Books. I ordered every. single. horse. book. Month after month after month. Year after year. And when those books arrived, I was in horse heaven. I spent hours lost in those stories and I still have some of my old favorites tucked away.
Not a Scholastic Book, but an old favorite anyway. Sam Savitt is still my favorite illustrator of horses and I am lucky to own a real, signed drawing by him that is framed and hanging here in my office.
I can guarantee that there will be a Sam Savitt question of some sort in the HMHSB II!
Wesley Dennis wrote a Scholastic Book I loved (hint: red cover, foal) as did Helen Kay (hint: pony, winter). Frances Frost was an accomplished author across adult and children's genres, and I still read one of her horsey books almost every winter. (Hint: sleigh bells.)
Here are the authors I have on my list. Not all of them will be used but since I am still writing the quiz questions, I am including them.
Authors & Illustrators
Marguerite Henry (Surprise!! Haha!)
Anna Sewell
Mary O'Hara
Walter Farley
Enid Bagnold
Helen Kay
John Steinbeck
Paul Goble
Elizabeth Letts
Frances Frost
Sam Savitt
C. W. Anderson
Wesley Dennis
Another framed piece of Sam Savitt's art, but not an original like the other.
This artwork was printed on some of Irish linen. Someone had it framed and I found it in an antique shop. It too hangs here in my office.
Have fun "studying" for the quiz and enjoy some good reads while you are at it!
I could look at Sam Savitts artwork all day.
ReplyDeleteI have to look up Paul Goble but the rest are all in my library. I have several Sam Savitt pieces (puzzle, calendar printed on leather, and a different towel are some of the more unique ones) and was fortunate enough to meet him several years ago at Midwest Horse Fair. He signed every book that I brought him and was very kind.
ReplyDeleteBetsy in WI