Monday, February 10, 2025

Answer Key to the 2025 HMHSB II

First Post of the Day

Here is the answer key to this year's HMHSB's questions. Score your answers and then send them to me by tomorrow (Tuesday) at noon Eastern. Winners will be posted Wednesday! (horsiemama8@gmail.com)


----


1) Flip can be an annoying little colt, and so, when his mother gets fed up with him, she jumps across the brook where he cannot follow her. How does he end up getting to her?


C)  Flip jumps over the brook.





2) Anna Sewell’s masterpiece, Black Beauty, was written in 1877, almost 150 years ago. What major change did her book bring about?


A) Changes to animal welfare.





3) In the book Lost Pony, twins Jan and Jay find a pony that they call “Somebody’s Pony.” What does it turn out that the pony’s real name is?


D) Top Honor





4) BLOG QUESTION: Can you think of a way Lynn can REALLY relate to the story of Lost Pony? (Hint: there was a blog post about this.)


When I was a little girl, I found a pony in my back yard that we had for a week before finding its owner. (Dad’s Slides: I Found a Horse!, March 23, 2020)






5) Windy Foot is a pony belonging to a young boy in the book, Sleigh Bells for Windy Foot.  What is the boy’s name?


B) Toby






6) BLOG QUESTION: I give credit to the book in question #5 for something that I am fond of in my own life. What is it?


Sleigh bells. (Holiday Horsiness: Sleigh Bells for Windy Foot, November 29, 2020)






7) In what book does a girl end her nightly prayers with, “Oh, God, give me horses, give me horses!”


D) National Velvet






8) Marguerite Henry won the prestigious John Newbery Medal for King of the Wind in 1949. Two other of her books were runners up for that award, Justin Morgan Had a Horse and…


A) Misty of Chincoteague






9) BLOG QUESTION: A hurricane threatens the island in Stormy, Misty’s Foal, and Misty is brought into the kitchen for safety. What did I do that was most likely prompted by this story? (And got me in big trouble with my mother.)


When I was seventeen and old enough to know better, I brought our horse Pokey up onto the back porch and into the house. My mother arrived home earlier than I’d expected her and was more than a little unhappy with me! (Pokey, the Picket Fence, and a Poor Idea, October 29, 2022 and/or It’s Not Just Me!, April 11, 2012)






10) Elizabeth Letts wrote The Eighty Dollar Champion about a horse that was found at an auction for last-chance horses. This horse was bought and became a champion jumper. What was the horse’s name?


C) Snowman






11) Marguerite Henry wrote Born to Trot about a Standardbred that was born here in Indiana close to my home and became one of the most famous pacers ever to live. His name was Dan Patch. Who was his Indiana owner and breeder?


B) Daniel Messner






12) BLOG QUESTION: A friend of mine now owns the store that Dan Patch’s breeder owned and operated and is restoring it back to its historical origins. What is my friend going to give me from the building?


D) A piece of wood. (I am still looking through my blog for the reference to the answer. I thought it was in The 1874 Dan Messner Building, July 22, 2024 but it isn’t. I’ll keep searching.)






13) A Pony for the Winter features Deborah, a young girl who gets a pony, Mollie, in an unexpected way. How does that come about?


A) A carnival with pony rides closes down and homes Mollie with Deborah’s family.






14) Breyer just used the Chris Hess mold of the star of this book for the first Vintage Club piece of 2025. What book does the model come from?


C) The Black Stallion






15) BLOG QUESTION: I have two framed pieces of Sam Savitt’s artwork hanging in my office. What do I have?


B) A pencil sketch and an Irish linen. (Preparing for the Horsie Mama Horsey Super Bowl II, January 25, 2025)






3 comments:

  1. WOW, I did much WORSE than I thought I would. LOL
    It was a lot of fun, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was fun! sending my sheet now.
    Betsy in WI

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did way better than I thought! I’m sure I didn’t get the top score, but I got a respectable 11 of 15.

    ReplyDelete