Just before he unexpectedly died, my friend Neil Vanderkolk told me about Fonso and said that he had a family connection to him. Expecting to talk to him again after church, I did not write that family connection down. As I remember, it was that a great-something grandfather/uncle had bred/raised/owned/trained Fonso.
I think it was that his great great grandfather had trained the horse, but I don't know for sure. (And now is not the time to ask Dagmar, Neil's widow.)
So, I began doing some research and what a tangled mess I found!
Here is what most sources say:~ A. J. Alexander, breeder
~ Daniel Swigert, raised him at Elmendorf Farm, KY
~ John Henry "Dutch" Rolfes, trainer
~ Tice Hutsell, trainer
~ John/Jack Snell Shawhan, owner, son of Tice Hutsell or father of Hutsell's wife
~ George Garret Lewis, jockey
We can cross George Garret Lewis out as Neil's relation because he never had children.
I found a news report about him and he died from injuries sustained in a racing accident shortly after his big win in the Kentucky Derby. He was 18 years old and while it is possible that he had had children, none are recorded in the genealogical records.
The genealogy records were helpful for Tice Hutsell who is listed in many sources as the trainer of Fonso.
In some historical records, Hutsell's son is listed as Fonso's owner under the names of John Snell, John Snell Shawhan (Hutsell's wife was a Shawhan) and even Jack Snell Shawhan.
But notice that Tice Hutsell's father-in-law was John Laughlin Shawhan; he has to be the actual owner (if the listed name is right.) Why? Because John/Jack Snell Hutsell was born in 1879 and was a baby when Fonso ran in 1880.
I have a gut feeling that it is Rolfes who is Neil's relative - Neil's family is Dutch. I've looked through some genealogy sites and I can find several John Henry Rolfes that fit the 1880 Derby time frame, but they are of German descent, not Dutch. (Although it is possible that whoever gave Rolfe his nickname mistook a German accent for a Dutch one.)
Craig is a passionate genealogist; he's as passionate about that as I am about horses. (He found and documented over 10,000 family names last year alone.) I am going to see if he can find Dutch Rolfe and if there is a connection to Neil.
Stay 'tooned!
*The site also mistakenly lists H. Eugene Leigh as Fonso's owner in a small section titled, "Legendary Tales," but if you click on the link, Fonso does not appear in any list of Leigh's notable horses.
I don’t know that I would trust the website kentuckyderbywinners.com. The writing smacks of AI, and is a little over-the-top (“…a spectacular event that will forever be remembered as the day Fonso made history.”) As most racing fans know, Fonso is not a name that stands out amongst
ReplyDeleteequine legends. Plus all of the images on the site, that I saw, are AI.
The website American Classic Pedigrees (https://www.americanclassicpedigrees.com/fonso.html) has an informative page about Fonso, but only lists Tice Hutsell as trainer.
You are right, it does. The information I used from it was confirmed on several other web sites; I just happened to cite that site as it was to hand when I was writing. Thanks for the link (I used that one, too in my research) and thanks for sharing your thoughts so kindly. <3
ReplyDeleteLynn
💜
DeleteIt is amazing what you can find online. It's too bad that you have to be careful now as far as accuracy.
ReplyDelete