The first two batches of auction models have been revealed, and there are some really lovely pieces. I've never bid on any auction piece; the prices go higher than I want to spend, but I've been tempted. And this year's first group has some tempting ones among them, too.
Here are the ten that Breyer has released thus far and some comments from me about them. (I will watch the auction and post prices and some comments the day after it is held.)
Othello, always a popular mold. Surely will sell well. Middle to high.
Wyatt. I don't know much about this mold and his popularity. I'm not a pinto fan, but I do like his color. Middle to lower.
A Five Gaiter is always tempting, but while I love the mold, I won't be bidding on this one. Others will, though as it is a very popular vintage mold. High middle.
Red roan reminds me of Abby, and I do like this piece. Lower to mid seller.
Rainbow Misty and Stormy? This will go high, potentially in the top three sellers.
The Fighting Stallion mold is hugely popular among collectors and I love the carmel color. I can't quite make out what the symbols are that are on this piece. Another that I think will go high.
I'm surprised to see a Sherman Morgan among the auction pieces. He does have his fans, though. And is it just me or is his off hind leg curved as though it got too hot? Medium to low seller.
Gem Twist is an older mold, but he, too, has a fan base. Middle seller.
Glossy, newer mold, and pretty in this color. A BIG shelf eater, though. I don't think it will go high, but it will do well.
Out of the ten lots revealed thus far, six are pintos, one is Appaloosa, and one has symbols that may be related to the 75th anniversary. Only two are solid colors. Three are glossy, four if Misty and her foal have been glossed. (Hard to tell on them.)
Last year Breyer had 22 lots in the auction and we have only seen ten so far.
Surely there are more to come, so keep checking the BreyerFest blog next week.
In 2023 there was an uproar over online bidding and concerns about shill bidding. The 2024 action went better as Breyer put in some new rules and procedures to prevent a repeat of what happened in the 2023 auction.
Let's hope we again have another less controversial auction this year.












I love watching the live auction and I, too, keep track of the final prices.
ReplyDeleteThe symbols on the chestnut Fighter are of kids/girls holding model horses, judging them, photographing them, ribbons and otherwise. The belly sports the words '75 years of horses / Breyerfest' at least as far as I can see! Go to Breyer's website and drill to their blog "more live auction models revealed" and you can see much larger pictures.
ReplyDelete