Friday, August 7, 2026

Does This Make My Backside Look Big?

First Post of the Day

Does this make my backside look big? 


If so, then it's doing its job.

This is an 18th century Frances Rump, the 1785 - 1795 version. (The 1775 - 1787 version is even bigger.)


They were filled with feathers (ACHOO!), horsehair (no way), cork shavings (messy!), and wool roving (too expensive.)


Most modern day sewists like me fill them with polyfil (much less expensive.)


In the 1700s, the goal was to lift the skirts up in the back for some added shaping. (Photo by The Dreamstress.)


I'm working on two Frances Rumps, both of off-white linen and embroidered with flowers, pink on one and white on the other.


I finished the first and put it on my dressmaker's mannequin to check fit and look.


Had I overfilled the channels? The weight of the wearer's skirts will compress them somewhat, but still I wondered.


And then I found this photo, also from The Dreamstress, with several examples of Frances Rumps. (To be clear, she was having fun; women did not wear multiples like that.)


I'd thought I might remove the twill tape waistband and remove some of the polyfil, but not anymore.


With time and the weight of petticoats, this undergarment will be just fine.


And it does make my backside look big, so yay, me!

Last day to enter the August Give Away!


Learn the secret life of Pepper, Seeing Eye Dog extraordinaire!

Entries close at 11:59 PM Eastern tonight and I'll spin to win tomorrow.

Stay 'tooned!


1 comment:

  1. Getting dressed way back when was exhausting. Funny the things they wore too

    ReplyDelete