First Post of the Day
The February give away prize is this vintage book by Henry V. Larom.
Written in 1958, it tells the story of two boys from different cultures who become friends as they work together for a common goal - winning a horse race.
The author worked with Dale Wing, a member of the Sioux Nation, to ensure accuracy and authenticity in the portrayal of the Native American characters as well as the prejudice that Native Americans endured.
There's a huge cherry on top. The illustrator!
Wesley Dennis! Next to Sam Savitt, he is my favorite illustrator when it comes to horses.
The book is a library cull and has a clear protective sleeve that has kept the book jacket in great condition.
This is the cover of the book that's under the jacket.
The back of the book jacket has photos of Henry Larom and Wesley Dennis.
If you want to win the book, then comment to win! Entries close on Thursday, February 12 at 11:59 PM. (If you have already guessed either the Scratching Foal or the Running Foal, then just go ahead and make any sort of comment you wish. LOL)
Another post is coming in the next hour or so. Stay 'tooned!
As soon as I saw the photo I knew it was Wesley Dennis! :)
ReplyDeleteI've been such a fan of Wesley Dennis, both growing up and as an adult. Surprisingly, this is one title I don't have in my home library.
ReplyDeleteGood heavens, a picture of Henry Larom. I grew up reading books like this. I have a few of his but I've never seen a photo of him! Not quite sure I have this exact one though. That's quite a prize!
ReplyDeleteWow, this book sounds amazing! I’ve never heard of this title.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes… Wesley Dennis is also my favorite illustrator, probably more than Sam Savitt. I think just because some of my earliest (book) memories are of Mr. Dennis‘s illustrations. A couple years ago I purchased a small lithograph that was hand signed by him. What a thrill!
I already have a copy of that book with dust jacket, so you can leave me off the wheel this time. I recently snagged a set of Savitt prints off ebay. I also have a portfolio of Dennis prints from an estate sale. I love the way his horses have expression! Paul Brown is another favorite illustrator.
ReplyDeleteI just love the Wesley Dennis artwork.He did the.Misty too I think.
ReplyDeleteAppaloosa on the cover, looks like a great book!
ReplyDelete