Sunday, February 1, 2026

Welcome, February!

Happy February, ya'll! Although Indiana is still in this kind of mode:


Does this place look familiar? 


Here's a look at it in October - I drive right down that drive in this video.


The temperature when I let the dogs out this morning was -4 and we are under yet another cold weather advisory. With snow expected tomorrow. And an unexpected dusting of snow that occurred yesterday. (As I write, a snowplow just went by.)

February, please do better than January!!

The silver lining of a terrible month of weather is that I spent a lot of time sewing. I cut out and finished seven chemises


and six trade shirts, three of which I completed just this past week.


This one was finished yesterday afternoon, and an hour after I posted it, it sold to a re-enactor in Nebraska. I had intended to take it to Kalamazoo, but I'm not going to turn down a sale.


This block print was a little tricky because of the regularity of the floral pattern. I had to center the pattern on it and then, when I opened the neck, I had to be sure to cut right down the center of the flowers.

But it was this block print pattern that gave me the most difficulties of the week.


It is a fabulous print, but it, too, had to be carefully cut out so that the print was centered.

The fabric also felt heavy and almost a little "sticky." I knew what that meant, and immediately I covered my ironing board with an old pillowcase and prepared for dye transfer!

Sure enough, soon my fingers were turning blue.


Even my fingernails turned blue!


After I finished it, I washed it three times to get rid of the excess indigo and now I feel comfortable that any dye transfer is under control.


Despite the extra work, the shirt turned out really cool and I think it will sell quickly.

One last gasp from January about sewing - I got a top of the line pair of Italian sewing shears from Craig for Christmas.***  I'd been wanting to splurge and get them for a long time, and he made that happen for me. (Thanks, Craig!)

Yesterday I was preparing for a marathon pattern cutting out session of more 18th century trade shirts and I decided to try out my new shears. As I opened them, the note on the back of the box gave me pause and then made me laugh.


They really are exceptional shears, but I would never say that the "countless details" in what I sew "have been shaped to reflect" who I am. Nor do I think chemises and trade shirts are part of my "skill and passion for self expression..." Seriously, they're just fun to make!

I quickly discovered, though, that it is true that my new Italian shears "are ideal for crisp, clean cuts" so I guess I will ignore the rest of the hyperbole and just enjoy that.

Here's hoping for better weather for February. If that doesn't happen, well, at least it's a short month!


*** Cole and Emily also got me a pair of electric shears for Christmas. I haven't tried them yet but I will and will let you know how they work. Thanks, Cole and Emily!



1 comment:

  1. Ginghers! I've used a pair of GIngher shears for my leatherwork since about 1979. I had no idea the name was Italian... (never bothered to look it up!) They are wonderful shears. // In my home, blue fingernails means you've been thinking too hard -- very mild cyanosis. Congrats on controlling the indigo!

    ReplyDelete