Thursday, October 24, 2019

Buying for Myself

One of the best things about any Great Lakes Congress show is that, not only are entrants selling models and tack from their tables, there is also a dedicated space in the show hall where tables are set up for model horse businesses to use solely for vending!
Last weekend there were at least four vendors in attendance with a great variety of vintage and new models of plastic and china. I was enamored of two Josef Original foals, but the prices were higher than I was willing to pay.
 This lying down cutie with her original sticker on her side was so sweet and painted beautifully.
 A close up of the sticker.
The underside reminded me a bit of Breyer's chalkies - the paint had that quality to it. And, she had a second sticker labeling her as from Japan.
 Josef Originals have big eyes and this piece was no exception.
You cannot tell very well from the photo, but her eyes are actually tried-toned - eye whites, and then a black pupil painted on an almost-black eye.
 The other piece that I was eyeballing throughout the show was this Josef Original bay standing foal.
 He did not have any stickers, but he, too, was unbroken with just tiny flakes at the tops of his ears.
 He had the tri-eyes but his eye whites were much more prominent.
He also has an interesting whitish spot on his belly where they filled in the pour hole.

I intended to leave them behind but when the vendor offered to make a deal at the end of the day, coming down $15 on the price of both, I accepted.
They join this little guy who I found at an antique shop in 2017. Read about his story here.



No comments:

Post a Comment