Friday, October 11, 2019

If I Were in Charge of the World...

I'm not in charge of the world, but I am in charge of the barn right now! Tim and Loni are out of town visiting family, and Tim has asked me to watch the horses.

You bet I will! I love to horse sit!
 Fall has lingered in Indiana, unlike it has in the west where winter seems to have arrived.
Sarah, my Colorado daughter, got 12 inches of snow today, and Jessica in Utah received an inch or so. Today it was in the high 70s here and I sat out on my patio in bare feet with a book for a while.
 It's warm enough during the day that the horses are sheltering from the heat of the day in the old barn and the loafing shed. (That's Abby who seems to have grown some stripes and Trouble to the right of her in the loafing shed.)

Tomorrow we are expecting cooler temperatures and heavy rains all day, so checking the horses will not be as nice a task as it was today.
 A cabbage butterfly on clover in the paddock.
 A woolly bear lumbering through the grass by the new barn. Those black bands on it are supposed to indicate the severity of the coming winter - the more of the body they cover, the worse the winter will be. Looks like we may have a bad winter.
 A purple morning glory all alone in the grass won't be there for too much longer.
Abby was very social today and just wanted to hang out with me, so we had a lovely visit and enjoyed the beautiful day together.
Judging by what is expected Friday afternoon, when the rains come and the temperature begins to drop, tomorrow's barn check will not be quite as idyllic.

But that's okay. Hanging out in a barn with the horses during a rainstorm is equally enjoyable. In fact, just hanging out with horses, wherever they may be, is simply the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment