Monday, April 11, 2022

When One Oddity Leads to Another

No collector can possibly know everything there is to know about the thousands of models that have been produced. And for me, that's part of the fun of collecting - coming across something that makes me go, "Hmmmm..."


Like the Brahma Bull I found recently.


He is matte and a little yellowed, but overall he is in good shape.


The bottom of his hooves showed some grey plastic but his price was more than I wanted to pay for a Brahma Bull that I really did not need. Or, to rescue and rehome with another collector. 

These black spots made me pause, though. Try as I might, I could not remember if the Brahma I had in my collection at home had them.


I checked when I got home, and he does. Softer, and not as bold and eye catching as the one I left behind, but there.


A quick check of Nancy Atkinson Young's book showed that some of the Brahma Bulls, both glossy and matte, had those spots so it wasn't too big of a deal that they were present.


While photographing  my bull, I noticed that he had something under his foot that prevented it from touching the shelf.


He had a piece of the factory drainboard stuck to it and then glossed over! You can see more on the other hoof.


And even more stuck to his front hoof.

Well, with that discovery, I headed down another rabbit hold - the drainboard rabbit hole. More on that to come.

Stay' tooned!

Don't forget to shoot me an email at horsiemama8@gmail.com if you'd like to enter to win the BreyerFest pony pad! Entries due by 11:59 PM Wednesday!




1 comment:

  1. I shot down that rabbit hole last year too. Many of my models had it, especially my Old Timer and my Misty. Eleda Towle had a lot of really helpful info on it. :)

    ReplyDelete