The Cantering Welsh Pony is a vintage mold that is still very popular among collectors.
An early version of the CWP.
I only have nine in my collection so the mold is one of my smaller congas.
I used to have one of the rarest versions, the 1987 Small World special run in dapple grey with gold ribbons, but I sold it years ago. Only 97 pieces were made and it is highly sought after. I still regret selling that piece. (Photo by Beth Dickinson.)
The following year, and after having seen the demand from the previous year, Small World offered four different colors on the CWP mold and made 500 of each color. This is the fleabitten grey; there is also red roan, dark chestnut, and red dun.
I saw the fleabitten grey at the October Great Lakes Congress show and snapped it up.
She is just a smidge shorter than two more recent counterparts, so she passed the shrinky test. (Some models from the mid 80s - 90s were made from a plastic that tends to deteriorate over time.)
Of course, now that I have her, I am on the look out for the other three from 1988. And if I could only find my dapple grey with gold braids, I would be over the moon.





No comments:
Post a Comment