Wednesday, December 21, 2022

A Storm is Comin'

A storm is coming, both literally and figuratively. Christmas is just four days away, and five of our six kids  will be storming the house joining us for the holiday with their families. And so will my siblings and their spouses and kids. We are expecting 30 for Christmas dinner. 


I've been getting up early to prepare. Naturally, Pepper is always at my side.


I take her outside to do her business and then we come back in for her breakfast.


I love walking through my house in the early morning when it is still dark outside and our home is decorated for Christmas. There's a quietness as well as an anticipation that can be felt.


The other storm is a bad winter storm, possibly of blizzard proportions, that is due to begin Thursday. 


It starts with rain, then a flash freeze as temps suddenly drop significantly, then heavy snow, and finally high winds with blowing and drifting snow, and very low temperatures with even lower wind chills.

Currently, Mountain Mama Jessie and her family have been on the road all night from Utah, racing to beat the storm to Indiana. 


Mutton busters Titan and Cambria with a real reindeer!! Lucky kids!

They are currently about two hours from Sarah's home in Iowa City where they are going to crash for a few hours and then caravan with Sarah and her family (and dogs) and arrive here late this afternoon.

Music City Son Cole and his family are also coming up early from Nashville to beat the storm. 


Pony Pals Julie, Susie, and Kate have been using Pez candies to count the days until they come to Indiana to visit Boompa and Grammy. (I love it!)

Having our kids and their families come early is wise and we are excited to have extra time with them as well as to know that they are not trying to drive though that monster storm. But...

Craig has been sick with Covid and while he is finally symptom free and beyond the 5 day window, we are both behind on cleaning, grocery shopping, and other preparations. We both have long to-do lists and will be scurrying all day trying to be ready for when our family begins rolling in.


Right now I'd sort of like to be like Nash and go take a nap. And I probably will get one in later this afternoon. After all, we will be staying up late playing cards and board games around the dining room table tonight. Gotta be awake and sharp if I want to beat my kids. (And I do... LOL)

Don't forget the giveaway! Comment to enter or you may email your comment to horsiemama8@gmail.com.

Christmas Card of the Day





6 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful Christmas gathering. And remember, it doesn't have to be perfect. Considering the weather and health concerns, it will be fine no matter how much you get done ahead of time. Take the nap! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and your house looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad Craig is feeling better! Thanks for keeping up blogging in the face of the storm. Now go have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. by Susan B Young (I keep forgetting to un-anonymize, sorry!)

      Delete
  4. Don't over do it. Your kids and grandkids are coming to see YOU and Craig, no one is coming to scrutinize your house (although it looks perfect to me). Enjoy this time with your family. * warm hugs *

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a happy lot of Christmas chaos you have coming up, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete