Giveaway winners will be announced later today - stay 'tooned!
Yesterday I finally got a moment to head out to the barn to visit with Abby and to see the family bell hanging again.
Tim had mounted it on a post under the pines at the intersection of several pastures. (Our own Four Corners, so to speak.)
I caught my breath when I saw it - I don't remember the last time I'd seen it hanging at my parents' home on the river. And honestly, I never thought I'd see it hanging again, let alone hear its beautifully clear tone traveling through the air.
I stepped up to it, took hold of the pull chain, and tugged.
I heard the rumble of hooves behind me after the first ring and the ponies had high-tailed it across the pasture.
They gathered at the end of the nursery paddock and turned to face the source of that scary sound.
Abby and Sultanna looked at me reproachfully, questioning why I had made that terrible noise.
Our plan to train them to come up when the bell is rung may need a little tweaking!
That is so wonderful. I cannot apply the term 'terrible' to that sound! I grew up with a dinner bell, but it was a little handheld one and used only in the house and the back yard.
I'm sure in no time they'll associate the bell ringing with getting treats.
ReplyDeleteThat is so wonderful. I cannot apply the term 'terrible' to that sound!
ReplyDeleteI grew up with a dinner bell, but it was a little handheld one and used only in the house and the back yard.