Ophelia is in the house! And she is lovely.
Her shipping box has been sitting on a table since Indy Blooms; I finally opened it yesterday.
Did you know you can peel those 75th anniversary stickers off the box?
I like the Bluegrass Bandit mold and Ophelia is in what Breyer is calling a dun color.
It looks nice on her,
but it also quite familiar. Perhaps a subtle nod to Breyer's 75th anniversary? I began pulling models off the shelf to compare.
The color is very, very similar to the 1963 Five Gaiter in sorrel with a charcoal mane.
I have five or six in this color so I started putting them next to her one by one, looking for the closest match. (This is Sham, my first 5 Gaiter and from my carpet herd.)
The three pieces with eye whites are the earliest of the run and their color is soooo close.
But it was the first one pictured and then this last one that led me to believe that Breyer had brought the color back. It's just so close to be an accident.
I may be wrong; I may be right. That honestly doesn't concern me. But seeing that old-time color pop up on a 2025 model?
Regardless of the rhyme or reason behind it, that made my day.



That “Five Gaiter Sorrel” always drives me crazy, because I always understood that a “sorrel” is essentially a chestnut with a flaxen mane/tail. To me, the Five Gaiter Sorrel is bay… except for the absence of black on the legs.
ReplyDeleteSorry, side rant! Regardless of bay or sorrel, I think you’re right that this is an “anniversary” to the original Five Gaiter Sorrel! And it looks really lovely on Ophelia. 😁
Edit: “…an “anniversary” nod to the original Five Gaiter Sorrel.”
DeleteYou have a good eye for color. I wouldn't've made the connection. But it seems clear. Ophelia is an example of how even a solid color Bandit can look very good.
ReplyDelete