Remember when I said that Craig was related to P.T. Barnum and that Craig's cousin, Joe, had actually been a clown in the Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Show for years?
Joe, who was in my high school class, recently posted this meme:
Our class reunion is quickly approaching, but I doubt Joe will be there throwing pies at anyone. Having said that, I hope he does do some fun tricks!
Anyway! Speaking of the circus, look at this set I found on eBay.
I had never seen it before and it came up when I was doing a search for something unrelated to circus horses.
The sides and back of the box had good information for me about the set.
Without having to remove the pieces, I know they are metal and have been hand painted.
I also know the year they were manufactured.
An information card about the real woman, Mary Chipperfield, and her involvement with liberty horses was included.
Along with a way to register your new set. (I wonder if the company is still in business? I'll have to check.)
A certificate of authenticity, the set's number, and the number produced.
For the moment I am leaving the set in its box. If this plastic that the pieces are packed in and covered over with is like Breyer's old plastic boxes (i.e. Kipper) then it has gotten fragile with time. I don't want to break it.
What a great find for someone who was not even looking for it!
Tomorrow I will show you another "find" that was also unexpected.
Stay 'tooned!




What an adorable set! Congratulations on a great find.
ReplyDeleteI saw those and was curious if they would appeal to you! I recently snagged a pair of Breyer models customized to circus horses. The glossy alabaster rearing stallion in a green liberty horse costume (with feather plume!) and a clyde stallion painted to dapple gray (Percheron?) with a ceramic lion on his back. The lion is rough and both are dusty but so cool! The lion horse is wearing a nail studded neck protector. So unique!
ReplyDeleteSounds cool - can you send me pics!
Delete