Sunday, June 24, 2018

Lush!

It's the end of June and summer is in full swing, but the weather conditions in Indiana have been favorable to growing, and so the pastures are deep and lush.
 In some places, it is knee deep on Abby!
You can get a sense from this photo of Trouble and Hokey enjoying the loafing shed as to just how well the pastures are flourishing.
My favorite Hoosier wildflower, Fleabane, grows along the fence rows. I can't help but smile whenever I see it.
Tim has about nine acres divided into eight pastures with two barns and a loafing shed. Even with six horses on site, that is plenty of room to sustain the herd without supplemental feeding of hay or grain.
There are other areas, like the lane to the new barn, that could be temporarily fenced should the need for more pasture arise.
But in the six years I have kept Abby at Tim's, that has never happened. Summer after summer, with Tim's good management skills, the pastures are able to sustain the horses.

Abby could not be in a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment