Saturday, June 16, 2018

Sharing the Horse Love

This spring, one of my students did a project for an assignment and included her sister's Breyer Stablemate in her project. One thing led to another, and today she, her mama, and siblings came out to meet Abby and then come over and see my collection.
I didn't even get a chance to show them that Abby always came when she was called - she saw the car coming and beat us to the gate! (My student is in the purple shirt.)
She sticks her tongue out at the oddest times! And I love the smile on my student's face. Her little brother looks like he's not interested, but he's really watching the rest of the herd milling around together as they decide who gets to go first into the barn for some cool shade.
 Abby has a sweet personality and is very gentle around people, especially kids.

After giving Abby her peppermints, we toured Tim's buggy and carriage collection.
They loved the 1832 paddy wagon that he restored! This one gets borrowed for parades and festivals. People love getting into the barred cell in the back of the wagon and having their picture taken!
 Her littlest brother tried out the antique pony saddle that Tim stores in his barn office.

Then we headed to my house so that the oldest sister could see my collection.
When she squatted down to see even the smallest pieces on the bottom of this curio, I knew she had a serious love of collecting!

And I was right. When she walked into my horse room, she began pointing out things. "That's a Vintage Club piece, Magnus." "Oh, look! This one is from BreyerFest. Did you know that this year's theme is racing?" "Have you ever gone to BreyerFest? I want to go some time." "You show your models?? I want to show sometime but the shows have been too far away." And she chattered on and on about collecting!
I gave them all some pieces for them to take home and enjoy. I would much rather they go to people who will be thrilled to have them and appreciate them rather than be taken to Goodwill (or worse, thrown out) when I am gone.

The mom and I are going to chat about some nearby shows that have novice divisions and see if we can't introduce her to showing and more of the hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment