Friday, June 15, 2018

Whoa!! What a Find!

No reins, so saddle, some large rubs... Wait! Look at those eyes! What is up with that??
Those are the thoughts that went through my mind as I spied this Western Horse while antiquing with Lisa Wednesday.
Not only are the eyes unpainted, but the bridle and breastcollar are, too!
And look at those bright white hind legs - that's unpainted plastic. Might this be a model made with chalky plastic?
What an odd piece! I began thinking that I might have found something special, so I snagged him and bought him. ($8.50!)
 A close up of the white hind legs.
 And the front ones.
The USA mark is in the right place for a Breyer Western Horse.
  Judging by the rounded conchos on the bridle, I knew it was not a Hartland.
 The undersides of the hooves are show that it is not a basecoat chalky.
 I decided to more closely examine the mane and tail.
 Parts of the tail...
... and mane seem unpainted.

Chalky plastic? Factory reject that escaped? Unfinished piece sold legitimately through Breyer's parking lot sales? I don't know. But I am going to check with Western Horse guru (both Breyer and Hartland) Sande Schneider as well as the folks on the Facebook Chalky page and see what their thoughts are.

Regardless, I have found something unusual, and am pretty excited about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment