Wednesday, November 10, 2021

The Flip Side

The 2021 edition of Just About Horses is out, and a photo of mine is in there. But it's not your usual picture; it's the flip side of the photo!


Liz LaRose authored an article on the resurgence of photo showing, and asked for photos from the early days of the hobby. I sent her a bunch, but had to laugh when she told me she was going to use the flip side of one of mine!


She explained that she wanted to show how we'd entered classes in the 1970s and ensured that we got our photos back. You can tell that I was also participating in some of the model horse "breeding" that went on way back when. 


This is Pace's Hi Hopes - see that date on the photo? September, 1971. That show picture is 50 years old!


I love that model so much, and keep him out and on display on the shelves right behind my desk. Still looks good, doesn't he? Sherry Cook McDonald customized him and used hair cut from her cocker spaniel for the mane and tail. (Many of her customs had cocker spaniel manes and tails.)


Tomorrow I'll show some more of these early show photos and how some of them started like this.

Stay 'tooned!


1 comment:

  1. The flip side of a show photo is familiar to me, but I'm even more pleased to see the horse it belongs to!

    Dog hair! Fa Shimbo once used milkweed fluff for a mane.

    ReplyDelete