Tuesday, June 21, 2022

45th Anniversary Celebration: Horses!

 After a few days at Sarah's home in Iowa City, we went back across the Mississippi to Nauvoo, Illinois, an old  pioneer town. Mormon pioneers settled there in the mid 1800s and many of the original homes and buildings still are standing and have been restored and are open for tours.

Naturally, a pioneer town had horses.


And naturally I had to go for a ride on one of them!


 Pony Pal Cambria took a ride, too, only she did it wearing a dress.


We were told that there are 13 percheron and 11 Belgians that are used to pull trolleys around the town.


They all had their names on their halters.


The drafters are trained by an Amish man who also comes to town every six weeks to trim and shoe their feet.


The biggest percheron was 20 hand tall - he was gigantic.


Pony Pal Mila is a girl after my own heart.


The horses were well cared for, watered frequently, and were switched out frequently due to the heat.


I had many opportunities to stop and chat with the horses - if a team was pulled up in the shade for a rest, the car stopped and I got out.


Isn't that dapple grey stunning?


Another girl after my own heart.


I'd hoped to get a family photo with this team but you can barely see them because there are so many of us.



1 comment:

  1. I can see one Belgian doing a sort of "photo bomb". What a great trip!
    --bassgirl

    ReplyDelete