Saturday, November 25, 2023

Thanksgiving 2023: Revenge of the Turkeys

After a fun hour of wandering a local Christmas tree farm and helping Lisa and Curt buy their Christmas trees, 


I was heading back into town when I came around a bend and saw a car stopped in the middle of the road. I slowed down and then came to a stop as that car sat there, with some large and very odd shapes next to it .

Finally the car began to move, swerving around the shapes, and I resumed my drive, approaching what I thought were probably boxes that had fallen out of a truck and onto the road.


As I drew closer, I realized that the shapes were not boxes, they were two wild turkeys!


Two very unhappy turkeys, gobbling loudly as they turned to look at me. I came to a stop again and waited a few moments, hoping they'd move on and when they didn't, I honked my horn a few times.

Big mistake. This infuriated them, and they ratcheted up the gobbling and marched right up to my car. One stopped directly in front of my bumper, blocking any forward motion, while the other strode around to the driver's side window, glared at me with its beady eyes, and proceeded to scold me in turkey!


I didn't know whether to laugh or not, but I certainly was not rolling down my car window!

Finally, I took my foot off the brake and let my car begin to slowly roll forward. The turkey blocking my car moved over (still yelling at me in turkey) while the one by my window paced alongside my car, turkey-cursing me all the while. (Those turkeys were SO angry; I learned later that they are aggressive birds and that honking at them can be perceived as a challenge.)

Finally I was clear of them both and could safely proceed without harming them. As I sped up, I looked in my review mirror and saw that the turkeys were taking on the next car in line behind me!

I guess their feathers were ruffled on behalf of their fellow Thanksgiving turkeys. Hah!




2 comments: