Know someone, adult or child, who's never met or touched a horse before?
Bring them out to meet Abby, Sultanna, and Hokey.
That was the case with Frank and Eva - neither one had ever been around a horse before.
Frank and Eva's introduction to horses could not have gone better.
and Hokey took an interest in the hood of her coat
giving her the giggles when his nose slid down her back.
It was a lovely experience and we spent a lot of time with the horses, handing out treats, and petting and brushing them.
I've seen it before when horses sense that someone is unsure and hesitant and then are extra gentle and careful with that person.
and remained at the gate, watching her walk back to the car as we got ready to leave.
I had Eva turn around and look back at Sultanna, explaining that I could tell that she had really liked having her visit and clearly would've enjoyed more time with her.
Today our family is going to be doing eclipse activities and then watch the Purdue/UConn game for the NCAA championship. We won't have time to go to the barn. Maybe we will get a chance on Tuesday before they head back to North Carolina.
I hope so, and not only for Frank and Eva's sake but for Sultanna's, too.
When my husband's niece was a little girl, some thirty+ years ago, I introduced her to Scheherazade, my (heart) horse. I showed her the proper way to keep her hand flat so she could feed Schere carrots, which she did.
ReplyDeleteEverything was going well until Schere snorted and covered the little girl in chewed up carrots, which the adults all thought was pretty funny.
As far as I know, his niece has never been inclined to go near horses again...
Wonderful pictures of their great horse introduction. Enjoy the eclipse we are excited here in ohio too!
ReplyDeleteLove this!
ReplyDelete