Tuesday, April 2, 2024

A Rainy Day is a Play Day

You know that old song, "Rain, rain, go away, come again some other day"? I think it was written right here in Indiana.


We are having a lot of rain at the moment.


My yard is soggy and even has standing puddles in it. Pepper and Tammo have both looked at me as though I were crazy a time or two when I took them outside. Can't say I blame them.

Rainy days, though, can be a bit like a snow day - you deviate from your usual routine and do some other things, things you may have been putting off a bit.

I did just that yesterday and played with my ponies.


I've entered Kerri German Johnson's new show, Midwest Model Mayhem.


I've never entered an all-mini show, so I have more prep work to do than usual.


Scales included are Venti, Stablemate, Micro, and even HO and N railroad pieces.


HO scale Mighty Mouse is definitely going


as are his N scale counterparts which are so tiny, they rarely come out of the box they arrived in. If they were loose on a shelf, I think they would get lost. (Keeping track of that little box is hard, too.)

The show has a Just for Fun division for other animals.


I am considering bringing my very fragile Mortens Studio cat (bottom shelf on the left)


but definitely coming is my guide dog model, aptly named "Pepper."


If this were a collectibility show, there are a lot of pieces I would bring from my China collection. But it's halter, not collectibility, and I won't risk bringing pieces that are highly collectible but not as correct when it comes to conformation.


I am probably going to bring those tiny white ducks, the white kitty, and the basset hound. The pink and blue Freeman McFarlin pony is coming, too, for unrealistic colors/fantasy.


My tiny models are scattered across three rooms in the house and on two different floors. Rather than constantly running up and down the stairs, I took photos of everything that might qualify for the show and uploaded them to my computer.


I sift through those photos as I look through the class list, writing in the models I plan to bring next to the classes.

At this point, I've got about thirty models and that presents another problem. Since I rarely show minis, I do not have enough pony pouches to bring all of them. And, I need to figure out what size of tub or box I will need to transport them. I don't worry too much about the plastic ones, but I do need to protect the chinas with their fragile legs, ears, and tails.

Those are solvable problems and I have a month to figure that out (and sew more pouches if need be.)

After having been so focused on Kalamazoo and sewing Lisa's robe a l'Anglaise, it was fun to switch gears and enjoy my collection. More rain is forecast for today and I just might take another day off and start packing ponies.

The April give away will be posted soon - and it goes along with another Spring saying, "April showers bring May flowers." 

Stay 'tooned!




1 comment:

  1. As a temporary solution, perhaps a box of small padded envelopes would be inexpensive and a timesaver? Put the chinas in pouches and use the envelopes for the plastic ones?

    Box has arrived but it needed to warm up before opening.
    Thanks much!
    Betsy in WI

    ReplyDelete