First Post of the Day
As I grieve Abby's death, I was surprised and comforted to hear from two women who were a part of Abby's adoption from Indiana Horse Rescue. Leslie has stayed in contact with them and had sent them a message Saturday night about Abby's loss.
Both women responded with messages of condolences. As many horses as they rescue and rehome, I was surprised to discover that they even remembered me. Here are some cut and pastes from their messages to me. (Shared with their permission.)
-----------
Kathryn Caldwell, Director, Indiana Horse Rescue
Lynn,
Leslie messaged me about the storm last night and the loss of your two horses. I am so very sorry and please know that you are in all our prayers here at Indiana Horse Rescue. Melanie said you came in with Leslie to pick up her pony and you fell in love with one of our rescues. Thank you for opening your home and your heart to a rescued horse. We are all so sorry for your loss.
Melanie thought her name was Sassy. I love giving horses new names as it is a new beginning for them. Thank you for the photos. My heart just breaks for you. Thank you for loving her and introducing your grandkids to her.
I decided to send Kathryn the blog post about Puppy Eyes and Horsey Hips to read. She replied,
That is definitely a horse telling you, you belong together. Such a magical day. I have heard plenty about those Indy horses that were seized. This is why we continue. The love we see in the horses and the people. She had twelve wonderful years with you!
And here is where I got really teary.
May I have permission to share your story? I would not include names or pictures, but sometimes people need an eye opener on what rescue really is. Hearing these stories sure reminds me why we do what we do!
Knowing that Abby's story will live on and help other horses in need makes my heart glad and helps my grief heal. Of course I said she was welcome to share my story. And, to use pictures of Abby if desired.
I also heard from Melanie, the woman who facilitated my adoption of Abby.
Melanie Masunas, Assistant Director, Indiana Horse Rescue
I immediately remembered you and Sassy/Abby. Adoptions are always special and memorable, and yours very highly.
Kathryn told me of the tragic loss last night, and I just sank. My most sincere condolences. My heart just broke in two, the two of you picked each other simultaneously. You adopting Sassy was so special. I loved the bond the two of you had at the get go. Just remember those twelve years, the love you gave, and that it was reciprocated.
I was bawling at this point.
Just know my heart is with you as you mourn. Losing such a friend is never easy. I lost my mare, my girl Honey, almost seven years ago and I still well up when I think or speak of her. It's never easy.
Just remember you gave Abby the best of the best. She came out of hell and you gave her the best life. And when it's your time, she will come running to greet you.
Love and Prayers!
Melanie
My horse's feet are swift as rolling thunder
He carries me away from all my fears
And when the world threatens to fall asunder
His mane is there to wipe away my tears.
~ Bonnie Lewis
------------------
Kathryn and Melanie, thank you for reaching out to me. It meant a lot. And thank you for all that you do to ensure that mistreated horses and ponies find loving homes. You truly make a difference in our world.


This is just so so sweet!! As is the Bonnie Lewis poem!
ReplyDelete