It's common knowledge that I am fond of circus ponies and horses, probably due to O'Boy's influence. Between the Hagen Renakers, Freeman Leidys, Metlox Poppytrails, and others, it is the largest collection within my collection. In fact, it is so large, I am breaking it into mini collections for the purposes of this blog series.
We are starting with what I call the "Phony Ponies."
Hagen Renaker's circus ponies were so lovely that Shiken, a company in Japan that produced bone china figurines in the 1960s, copied the Head Up Pony.
This one fooled me at first, but when I took a closer look, I noticed black hooves, not gold. The next photo shows two variations of the HR Head Ups. Can you see other differences between them and the Shiken?
The Shiken harness is brown, not gold, and the body color is a stark white, unlike the Hagen Renakers which are creamy colored due to the slip that was used in producing them.
Still it is a charming piece and I added him to my collection even though he was an imitation. But Shiken and another company, Kelvin, didn't stop with copying the Head Up circus pony. They created new pieces. (And I am so glad that they did.)
I am always delighted when I find one.
I have eleven of them - look at the variety of poses and sizes! Aren't they fun?
These four all bear Shiken stickers. Now, we all know that stickers can be switched around or removed altogether, but I feel confident that these pieces are by Shiken.



With that plume & stance, I have mentally named the pacing pony ChooChoo! What a wonderful bunch. 😄
ReplyDelete