Wednesday, March 18, 2026

Kalamazoo Week: No More "Modesty Moments" (I Hope)

Second Post of the Day

My favorite 18th century article of clothing to wear is my Caraco jacket.  


I actually made it as a practice piece and intended to make a "real" one after I'd figured out how the pattern went together.


But I liked it so much that I've never made that "real" one!

It takes two people to put it on. The front is held together by 15 hooks and eyes (which are actually period correct) 


and there are four channels with boning inside.

The boning makes it so the Caraco is stiff and rigid. (Exactly what the boning is meant to do.) But, the hooks and eyes then can't move with your body as they would normally and thus tend to pop open. Reclosing them is a two person job and I won't have Lisa's help this year.

I had an idea yesterday. What if I closed all the hooks and eyes, stitched the jacket closed on the inside, and then slipped the jacket on over my head when I got dressed?  


I grabbed a heavier weight of linen thread, laid the Caraco out on my sewing table,


and started at the bottom, making a bar tack for extra strength and then worked my way up, closing the hooks and eyes as I went.


Due to its thickness, the linen thread needed some beeswax to help it pass through the fabric. Fortunately, I had a brand new beeswax sewing heart to use for that. (Hah!)


I hand stitcheded my way up to the top, checking occasionally to be sure the thread was not showing on the outside of the jacket.


Another bar tack at the top, and I was finished.


I am pleased with how it looks, and even more pleased that I won't have any more "modesty moments."


I did a couple of very minor repairs to the sleeve cuffs, and I was done.


My plan is to wear it both days this weekend and vary the petticoats and fichus that I pair with it. (I also have two new caps to wear.) But, I will be taking along one of my bedgowns, just in case there is a problem.


Don't forget the March Give Away! Comment on any/all blog posts beginning with today (March 18) and ending at 11:59 Eastern on Sunday, March 23. 


The winner gets their choice of a blackened beeswax ornament!


8 comments:

  1. Now that you have sewn the front of your Caraco jacket closed, I'm curious how it'll be to pull it over your head to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever fix, but I imagine it will still be a 2 person job to put it on and take it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sewing one's clothes shut is a daring step. We'll have to trust you really know what you are doing! But good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Caraco jacket looks especially nice with that pretty blue skirt. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to problem solve!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to a successful weekend and I hope you don't have to sleep in the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Curious readers (me!) want to know if you were able to get it on after stitching it together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back in the day everything everyone did was so difficult including dressing!

    ReplyDelete