With Leslie and Steve. I'm two years old so not a baby-baby, but Leslie is, so the photo counts, right?
On to the Collecta foals.
You know, sometimes you think you know a fair amount about something and then discover that you don't. I have learned so much about Mini Whinnies and Pony Gals that surprised me, and the same thing happened with Breyer by Collecta.
First, Collecta is its own company . With the name of the line "Breyer by Collecta," I had thought that Breyer had bought the company or was subsuming it into Reeves and that this was a transitional name. Not the case.
Collecta's home offices are located in London, Dublin, and Hong Kong.
Collecta calls their equine line "Horse Country" and lists Deborah McDermott as the sculptor of the horses.
That note made me pause. Another collector had told me recently that Kat McDermott of Breyer had sculpted them all. It turns out that that's not true. So, I did an online search which showed that there are several Deborah McDermotts who sculpt horses.
Including one who sculpted Monya for Joanie Berkwitz's Pour Horse Pottery.
Her response? "Yes, it's the same woman as far as I know!" I think we can be pretty sure now that they are one and the same.
Next, I went looking for the Collecta foals and information about them. I came across a site called Identify Your Collecta which is connected to Identify Your Breyer. The following photos are all from that site.
There are three scales of horses in the Horse Life section, Mini, Standard, and Deluxe.
The Deluxe Collectas are a smidge larger than Breyer's Classic/Freedom pieces. There are only 11 Deluxe molds and no Deluxe foals yet.
So, how to sort out those 33 foal molds in the Standard line? I decided that I would leave the links to the site and just share the Collecta Foals that Breyer currently has available. (The following photos are from Breyer's web site.)
Rearing Unicorn Foal
Black and White Piebald Gypsy foalPalomino Pinto FoalBlack Shire Foal
Bay Quarter Horse FoalGrulla Mustang FoalBay Clydesdale FoalChocolate Rocky Mountain FoalChestnut Thoroughbred Foal - Standing
Plus, with Breyer so recently having begun to shrink their own molds to fit into new scales, is there any need to add the Mini or Deluxe Collecta lines?
I don't think so, and my guess is that we won't see them any time soon.
That concludes the series on The Foal Count. It's been quite a ride and I have learned a lot.
Sure hope you have, too.
I have 8 of these foals, but did not know the history or scale ranges to this extent -- Thank you! The Mustang Foal is, in my opinion, the best of all of them -- pick of the litter! -- and mine's the Grulla. CollectAs are so useful -- they don't break. She lives on my dresser (with another foal, the TWH) and when we take trips they travel in my personal items bag, known in the family as the Carry-In. What seems like decades of this life has barely rubbed her.
ReplyDeleteRight off the bat you surprised me. I, too, thought Breyer had purchased the CollectA line and didn't realize they were their own company. I have tried to keep away from them, because of the model horse room issue we all face. I didn't want a new collection but those foals...
ReplyDeleteI've really enjoyed the human baby pictures that have accompanied this series <3
ReplyDelete