Sunday, March 22, 2026

The Lumbee Tribe - Recognition at Last

There are many things I love about living history - the friends, the learning, the recreation of events that happened hundreds of years ago, and more.

Those events are also places where the history of our country's indigenous peoples can be told. Some of those histories are at risk at being lost as more time passes and a living history event is the perfect place for their stories to be shared.

Ever heard of the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina? I hadn't prior to returning to participating in living history back in 2020 where I met Jamie Oxendine.


I took this photo of him by my booth at last year's Kalamazoo Living History Show.

Jamie is a member of the Lumbee Tribe and is a very dignified man, one who is an author, an educator, and a historian. He has been fighting for federal recognition for his tribe for a very, very long time.

In a recent living history publication, I discovered that Jamie's long fight had succeeded.



I will see Jamie again at Kalamazoo as he will be performing both days with the SouthEastern Water Spider Drum.


They are a Native American group comprised of members from native tribes of the SouthEast and NorthEast Woodlands.




Congratulations to Jamie and the Lumbee people. It was a long wait for the right thing to finally be done.

Last day to enter the March Give Away! Comment on any post published March 18 through today at 11:59 PM Eastern to enter. I'll spin to win in the next day or two!


But please give me a chance to catch my breath first. LOL


5 comments:

  1. It’s good to hear that his years of work paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s nice to see people passionate about their history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living History is very interesting and a great learning tool. We live relatively close to Old Fort Niagara and have been exposed to its storied history. A very good friend is a former reenactor.

    Congratulations to Mr. Oxendine and his labor of love that has paid off in recognition of his tribe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great accomplishment for your friend Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to learn more about Native American tribes. Congratulations to Jamie for his accomplishments and you for some fine reportage. So often we do not know who or what we are looking at. // As for me, I took that long-bearded gnome-face wax-ornament for an alligator,...

    ReplyDelete