Sunday, March 8, 2026

The Foal Count: Stablemates

 Let's talk babies!!


Really? You are not surprised and were expecting me to do this again?  Alrighty, then! (Isn't Elsie Mae cute?)

This time, the babies we are looking at are the Stablemate foals. There are ten different molds, and it seems as though sculptor Sarah Rose could be credited for giving new life to the line. Of the ten, she created four, including the one that has been produced the most.


1. Scrambling Foal (40)


Since its release in 2000, Sarah Rose's Scrambling Foal is our top foal with 40 different productions, more than the Traditional Running Foal at 37 or the Classics/Freedom's Arabian Foal at 34. 

It's interesting to note that those two were both introduced in the 1970s and have an extra 25 years of production, yet are still topped numbers-wise by this Stablemate mold.


2. Standing Foal (32)


This is my favorite Stablemate foal - there is something that looks so real about it, like it is ready to leap into a frolic across the pasture. Sculpted by Jane Junger and first released in 2006.


3. Trotting Foal (31)


Like the Scrambling Foal, the Trotting Foal is a Rose sculpt and was first seen in 2000. Its numbers are impressive and it is my second favorite Stablemate foal mold.


4. Scratching Foal (25)


I wonder if Sarah Rose created all four pieces around the same time and Breyer bought the sculpts together. All four of her Stablemate foal sculpts date to 2000.


5. Cantering Foal (24)


The last of the Rose pieces, released the same year as the others, and with an impressive number of iterations at 24.


6. Thoroughbred Lying Foal (22)


The Thoroughbred Lying Foal and its twin (next) were both sculpted by Hagen Renaker's premiere sculptor Maureen Love and produced in china prior to Breyer purchasing the rights to use the molds for its Stablemates line. 

I remember when the Stablemates line was introduced by Breyer and these foals were first available in a blister pack in black and bay. I got the black set and still have them in my collection.


7. Thoroughbred Standing Foal (21)



Twin to the above, the Standing Thoroughbred Foal was first produced by Breyer in 1975. Although they look good in plastic, I think they look better in china.


8. Lying Foal (19)



Another Jane Lunger piece, the Lying Foal was first seen in 2007. Like the Classics/Freedom American Quarter Horse Foal, that front leg looks too long to me and so I have neither of those foals in my collection. I do think the head is very pretty, though.


9. Frisky Foal (10)


Kitty Cantrell is responsible for the two most recent sculpts of Stablemate Foals. This one, and the Playful Foal next, were both released in 2020. (I'm not a unicorn fan at all, but that color is so pretty!)


10. Playful Foal (6)


The last of the ten Stablemate foals. There is no official designation for an official name for the mold, but that is definitely a little draft baby!

Next up in our look at Breyer's lines of Foals? The Mini Whinnies. And then a line you may not have realized had foals. I sure didn't!

Stay 'tooned!


1 comment:

  1. This has been a real learning experience for me. I could have sworn Kathy Moody did some of these. I also could have sworn there weren't as many as 10,... so it just goes to show! I do know my collection of SM foals is way too small. Thanks for a good spur to get going.

    ReplyDelete