We had a surprise snow day today, although it was really for ice, not snow. No local or regional forecasts predicted the sleet and freezing rain that we received, and so none of the roads had any applications of beet juice, sand or salt in preparation. The roads quickly became very, very slick, and so almost all area schools canceled classes for the day.
Including mine. And let's be honest - what teacher doesn't love a snow day? An unexpected opportunity to sleep in a bit, read a good book, catch up on a few chores? I'll take it, and today I chose to make my snow day a "sew day."
My horse room also houses my sewing machine and supplies.
I cut and stitch away while sitting in the midst of my collection. It's hard to explain, but I feel very content as I work in my favorite spot in our home. I love looking up from my stitching to see a conga of Lady Phases or Huckleberry Beys, my glass cases with my Hagen Renaker Circus Pony collection, and all the other pieces in my collection. It simply makes me happy.
Today I was sewing Valentine pillowcases for two of my granddaughters, Mila and Kate, both of whom turn two this year and so will be getting their holiday pillowcase sets. The year a grandchild turns two, I make them a set of holiday pillowcases and send one to them in the mail a week or so before each holiday.
I make one for Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Memorial Day/4th of July/Labor Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and their birthday for a total of eight per child. (I have never found New Year's fabric that I felt was child-friendly so I skip it.) We have thirteen grandchildren and two more on the way, so needless to say, I have sewn a lot of pillowcases!
We expect more icing tonight, so tomorrow may be another day of no school.
If so, I'll be back up in my horse room, puttering around and sewing more pillowcases. And feeling very, very content.





No comments:
Post a Comment