Sunday, January 21, 2018

Together at Last!

Finally! A break in this terrible weather! The temperatures have risen above freezing and the snow has been melting for the past two days. Yesterday afternoon I figured that the lanes to the old and new barns might be clear enough to attempt a barn visit.
 I was right! The lane to the old barn was clear of its ice and snow. I could see Abby at the west hayrack, munching hay as I parked my car.
She heard the car coming and recognized it. Before I could even start my walk to her hayrack, she was eagerly coming up to the gate, softly nickering to me.

I'd brought some carrots and we had a lovely reunion of carrots, petting, soft breaths, and scritching.
 As I was returning to my car after our visit, I turned back for one last look. To my surprise, she was watching me, too. That put a smile on my face.

That is the longest I have ever gone without being able to get out to see her. Thank goodness for Tim who has four wheel drive and gets to the barn every single day so that I do not have to worry about her during my absence.

But even though I know she is checked daily and gets good care, it is still nice to be able to look her over with my own eyes, slip her some carrots, and hear those lovely low nickers of welcome. There is something about being with my horse that makes me feel happy and content.

No comments:

Post a Comment