There is a new collecting group on Facebook for those of us who like the old Made in Japan china horses. (It's called Collecting Japan Animal Clinkies.) Since my early collection consisted mainly of these MIJs (they were far cheaper than Breyers or Hagen Renakers back in the 1960s), I have been able to ID some of my oldest and most cherished pieces in my collection through this group.
And, I have been able to solve a puzzle or two, or at least get some more information to help me figure out the past history of a piece or two.
Like this one:
I found it 25+ years ago for a couple of dollars in an Illinois antique shop. It's not very refined and has clunky legs. There is no sticker or identifying marks on it.
Except if you look very closely at its right hip.
The word "foreign" is cut into the clay and then glossed over. That gloss is so thick that you cannot feel the letters. In fact, I had this little foal for years before I actually saw the word. (And even then, it took me a while to decipher it; some of the letters are very difficult to see.)
I posted these photos last night on the Made in Japan Clinkies Facebook page and asked if anyone knew anything about this little horse. Two hobbyists have spoken thus far, one saying that she has had several pieces with that word in them, and another, a very respected hobbyist, who said this:
"'Foreign' was a required mark for imports to England at one time. I'm guessing it was in the early 1930s. I've had some German made mini figures with that mark."
Interesting! So this piece may have been imported at one time to England years ago and then somehow made its way to the United States! That is so cool!
I hope I can find more specifics about this foal and add to its history.



No comments:
Post a Comment