It is the second time that Breyer has used this mold for a Vintage Club piece and that surprises me as there are other vintage molds that have not been used at all.
And while I am fine having another Belgian, there is something that I wish had been done better, and that is the color match. This is not the vintage wedgewood blue color used on decorators back in the 1960s. It looks pretty blue itself, but put it next to a true wedgewood and you see a big difference.
See what I mean? (Sorry for the ironing board photos - Cambria and Titan's western shirts are spread out all over my craft table so it was easier to just shoot pictures on the ironing board.)
See how much bluer my wedgewood Running Mare is in comparison? The Belgian seems a little green or grey.
I pulled out more recent pieces done with Breyer's current shade of wedgwood. Their colors are not true wedgewood, either.
In 1999, Breyer produced a wedgewood color (sans white mane and tail) on the Pegasus mold for a Toys R Us special run. The color is still not the original wedgewood, but it is closer.
The blue on the Lakota Pony, released in 1992, is closer to wedgewood, too.
Having said all that, I am still happy with my Josiah and will catalog him into the collection and get him on the shelves later today.
You are spot on with this critique. Breyer's ability to do blue wanders all over the place, only sometimes matching the fabulous light sky-blue of the true Wedgewood. I find myself loving the pearlescent blues of Peter Stone Co.
ReplyDelete