As she walked through the door, I complimented her on her horsey dress. Mila replied, "You're just too far away to see the horns. These are UNICORNS!" and she came over and pointed out one of the horns for me.
I do believe that Mila has the horsey gene. Right away she climbed up beside me on the couch and asked if she could see the horses in the china hutch behind it - the Designer Workshop Hagen Renakers, the Animal Artistry pieces, the Breyer porcelains, Mortens Studios, North Lights, Beswicks, and so on.
Taking a deep breath (a VERY deep breath), I said yes.
I pulled out a Joseph Original that I really liked but that I'd only paid fifty cents for at a flea market. He's super cute so I knew he would appeal to her, and if he got broken, well, I would be sad but it would not be a big deal.
She asked if he had a name, and when I said he reminded me of a candy bar and had called him Snickers, she asked if we could rename him to Rainbow Wing. Alrighty, then, Rainbow Wing it is!
Pony Pal Mila really liked that little foal. She liked it so much so that when Pepper began trying to entice her to play, she chose to stay on the couch and hold the foal! (As you can see, Pepper used her best puppy eyes on Mila.)
Then my Pony Pal asked if she could see the "pink horse." Again I held my breath - that piece has such spindly legs, and it's my favorite of all the colors it came in, but Mila was very gentle and nothing happened to it.
After telling me about her horse from her other grandma that has hair (it must be a My Little Pony), Mila asked if I had any horses with hair.
One Rubbernedz coming up! That was an easy one to let her see, and she really liked it. (So do I.)
She looked at my Designer Workshop Hagen Renaker Fez...
... and my Animal Artistry Circus Horse, and then I pulled out something that I thought she would find interesting. I asked her if she knew what a stirrup cup was and took out the one I'd won at Breakables in 2012.Sculpted by Kristina Lucas Francis, it has been sitting in my china cabinet alongside the Hagen Renakers. It's pretty cool - if you flip it over, the ears and the forelock of the mane serve as three legs and balance the cup on the table.
I filled it with some water and handed it to her. She took a very cautious sip,
and a big smile broke out on her face. It was a hit!
I know some people would think it crazy to let a four year old hold expensive models. Believe me, I considered that when I first began letting Pony Pal Mila hold some of my collection. And there are some that I tell her we will look at "some other time." But I do let her look at them for two reasons:
First, I was a Mila. Any opportunity to do something pertaining to horses, even when I was little, was a huge deal for me. Those opportunities nurtured and helped me grow into the horsey gal I am now. They made my day at the time and many have remained as fond memories. I want her to have that same experience, and I can easily provide it by throwing open the cabinet door.
Second, and even more importantly, is that Mila and I are connecting through a common love. I won't always be here on earth, and I like to imagine an adult Mila smiling fondly as she holds Rainbow Wing and remembers the times we spent together looking at the pieces in my collection, the thrill she felt at holding the glossy pink horse, and how fun it was to drink from her Grammy's stirrup cup.
We are building bonds between us along with our mutual love of horses, and we are making memories. Mila may even be the one who asks to have my collection when I am gone, and cherishes it for what it represents to her.
And that is why Pony Pal Mila gets to hold my chinas.



<3
ReplyDeleteI'm very glad she's gentle with them. In that sense, the earlier practicing begins the better.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. <3
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. <3
ReplyDelete