Sunday, May 28, 2023

Changing Focus

Wondering what happened to my 18th century sewing? And why I'm not sharing what I am making for this year's Feast of the Hunters' Moon in October?

That's because I haven't made a thing since I went to Kalamazoo in mid March!


I came home from Michigan planning to take a bit of a sewing break, but the haversack orders began pouring in - show season was ramping up. I have been stitching ever since trying to finish them.


I wasn't too worried at first. There was plenty of time to get things made for the Feast. But suddenly two months had slid by and I realized that I had not started a single men's Voyageur shirt or lady's chemise! It was time to shift the focus of my sewing to historical garments.

I worked hard all week and hit my goal of completing all haversack orders by the end of Saturday.


All the custom orders are done, wrapped, and in the mail.


I am taking the Mercantile to Clover City Live in June and have cut out some haversacks to add to my sales stock (in case I have time to sew them), but the focus won't be solely on haversacks like it's been for the past two months.


I've enjoyed concentrating on sewing for models, but I am looking forward to switching to working on some period clothing. And Mountain Mama Jessica is coming out attend the Feast and help me - she chose the fabrics and patterns for her period clothing at Christmas and I'll need to sew those for her. 

Yep, it's time for me to get busy!




4 comments:

  1. When I was making things on a more regular basis, I liked going back and forth between large, complicated projects and quick, easy ones. It seems like you've got something similar going on with haversacks and 1800's clothes. And yes, we all do want to see what you're making for Hunters Moon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s like you retired from teaching to become a full time sewist! I look forward to seeing what you make for the Feast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Burro pint is so cute! Is it from Joann's? I feel like I've seen it somewhere before.
    Excited to see what you make for the Feast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't know how you do it. It amazed me that you accomplish SO much and still have time to be with and do things for your family.

    ReplyDelete