Tuesday, November 26, 2024

Researching & Writing & Cleaning & Cooking, Oh My!

Currently I am doing research for a couple of upcoming blog posts. One pertains to Breyer and other advent calendars that we have used, past and present.


I get to open the first door of the 2024 calendar in only five days and can hardly wait!

The other? I've been going through my collection and looking for B stamp Breyers.


And in so doing, I've come across some things that make me smile.


Like this Rearing Stallion in alabaster. Some have been found with a B stamp but mine did not have it. However, what he had was an unexpected treasure to me.


His old tags from when Music City Son Cole was little and live showing with me were still on him!


Oh, my heart! That tag is never being removed! A year ago I gave Cole back an early Lady Phase that had been his and he'd said he wanted for his girls.  I plan to ask him if he'd like this one, too. 

As I checked pieces in my collection for that elusive B stamp, there were also some things that dismayed me and made me sad.


It was very hard to photograph, but my carpet herd Clydesdale Mare, Whippoorwill, seems to have some plastic disintegration starting on her near hock.


A Breyer Western Horse from my collection mid-disintegration. Poor boy, I finally had to throw him out. She will eventually look like this.

Knowing that one of my childhood pieces is starting to deteriorate was saddening but not really a surprise. What was surprising is that I have not found any others with signs that their time on my shelves is drawing to a close. (Grateful!)

(Kirsten Wellman did several well-researched articles on Vinegar Syndrome, shrinkies, and oozies. Worth a read!)

The advent calendar post is scheduled to drop on November 30th, and the B Stamp possibly the day after Thanksgiving depending on if I can finish that research.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, things are ratcheting up here for the big day. I've got carpet cleaners coming today, the sheets in the guest bedrooms are clean, the bathrooms are all cleaned, fresh towels are out, and the house is just about ready to go. The grocery shopping is done, too.

Today we move on to cooking prep.  Here is the most up to date menu and info about the day that I just sent out to those who are coming:

Craig & Lynn: turkey, gravy, dressing, mashed potatoes, butter, cherry pies, spiced peaches, olives, pickles, traffic jam, paper products

Leslie & Rick: pumpkin pie, whipped cream, cheese

Jenny: green bean casserole

Steve & Cindie: asparagus casserole, beets, O'Rears' rolls, pumpkin butter

Lisa: cheeseballs & crackers, corn casserole, apple butter

Reminder:  

~ Come any time after 11:00 and cheeseballs and nibbles will be available. We will eat at 12:30 or close to it. Dogs welcome as always.

~  I have a lot of serving spoons in my kitchen drawer that have accumulated from family gatherings over the years and are not mine. Please check and see if any belong to you while you are here.

~ Last year someone brought their own containers to take home leftovers. (I think it was Jenny.) That was so helpful! If you can do that, that would be nice.

~ Feel free to stay and socialize, play games, etc. We have a couple of new ones that are easy to play and really fun. Football will be on, too.

~ Open kitchen when you get hungry (if??) later in the day. Help yourselves.


Off to get ready for those carpet cleaners to arrive. There are umpteen million doggo toys to pick up courtesy of Tammo. Although he will start getting them out as soon as I put them in the basket. Silly boy!





6 comments:

  1. That menu ! Oh my! Can I get there by noon ? 🤔. I know you will have a loud, chaotic and absolutely wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always welcome, Kat. We could easily add two chairs (or more) to the table. And I am absolutely serious!! Lynn

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's a yummy jam made with an assortment of berries! We buy it locally but you can find it on Amazon. Delicious! Lynn

      Delete
  3. Who’s bringing yams, though?!
    Lol, I’ve got yams and green bean casserole for our West Coast Thanksgiving. Always looking forward to corn casserole as well!

    ReplyDelete