Wednesday, November 6, 2024

Resigned & Reluctant

Making Christmas, indeed! I was very busy yesterday, sorting through all my beeswax ornaments, writing up specific lists of which molds to pull and how many I needed to make of them, and more. 

I got a lot done until suddenly I began to hurt in my abdomen. To me there is a difference between discomfort and pain, and boy howdy, this was pain.

It was a familiar pain and one I absolutely did not want to deal with - it involves a surgery that I have been putting off for over two years despite my doctor's recommendation that I get it done.

Long story short, after my pancreatectomy and splenectomy in 2019, I developed a large incisional hernia with a second internal one behind it. They were repaired in 2020 but by 2022 had returned.

It's gotten bigger and bigger and is very visible. (Since I am too old to be pregnant, most people probably assume it is fat, but it's not. LOL)  Aside from having trouble at times with waistbands pressing on it and some discomfort, I've done my best to ignore it for the past two years.

Yesterday, there was no ignoring it. I called my doctor and while she wanted me to go to the ER, I did not. I already had an appointment with her the next day (which is today) and since she is familiar with my health and has checked the hernia many times, I wanted to see what she thought before undergoing testing. (Plus, the pain lessened and became mostly just discomfort.) 

I had to promise to go to the ER if the pain returned, and while it did begin ramping up some later in the afternoon, it was not even close to the level it had been late morning. 

I strongly suspect Dr. Kengeri will send me to the hospital for testing today and that I will not be able to postpone the surgery this time. I'm feeling old, I'm feeling discouraged, and even a bit grumpy. 

And while I am resigned to it, I am very, very reluctant to begin the surgery process yet again. With 17 past surgeries, I am not looking forward to another. Especially not with the holidays approaching.

Another apropros quote today from yesterday's  The Nightmare before Christmas, "There goes Christmas!" Doggone it.

Stay 'tooned.



5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are going through this. Please keep us posted. Gentle hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lynn!! Even if you're reluctant, DO IT!! We DON'T want to lose any more people!! And I'm SURE your family don't want to see you in pain--even if it IS around the holidays!!
    This has been a sad year with the loss of well known hobbiest ,celebrities, and even well loved animals!! Just found out on Monday, that our beloved pastor's wife passed away after a battle with ALS-- so I am despondent!
    Don't want to hear that something happened to you as well!! DON'T make us come there young lady!! Take care of yourself --so this won't continue to be a problem for you!! PROMISE??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor kid! Sending best wishes. Sometimes the body has a way of winning the argument, eh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please be careful, Lynn, saying an extra prayer for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear this! What good timing you have! Lol. I am adding you to my prayer list.

    ReplyDelete