Thanksgiving preparation is running apace, for sure! Yesterday we had some spot cleaning done on our carpets.
Because Tammo the dogs love people so much and can get underfoot as he they "help," Craig and I took them upstairs to the overlook while Taylor cleaned.
The overlook is just that - an open space on the second floor. It looks over the living and dining rooms and functions as a space where people (especially the grands) can go and spread out. With all that open space, the adults can easily monitor the activities going on upstairs and make sure all is good. (*** See note below.)
While Taylor worked, Pep and I spent the time together in one of our favorite places - the overlook couch. She makes a great foot warmer!
The living room is now ready for Thanksgiving!
Since Teacher Daughter Lisa has the day off today, she invited Tammo to come over for a doggy sleepover and play with Nash last night. (Pepper was invited, too, but I knew she'd enjoy having some alone time just with me.)
Neither Mama nor Pepper play hard, but Tammo and Nash together? It goes up to the next level. When Nash and Mama visit us, Craig and I keep our shoes on - the boys go careening all over the house and if they step on your bare foot... chills!
I got a late night text last night from Lisa saying, "Nash is snoring, Tammo is conked out, and Molly is wagging her tail in her sleep. Tammo wore them all out!"
Tammo will be coming home later this morning and I am sure he will be one very happy dog. (Tired, too.)
Today's plan for Thanksgiving prep? First priority is to make two cherry pies. (A blog post with the recipe is here.) They are a tradition that goes back to 1955 in my family.
Then, I plan to set the dining room table. Because we are a smaller group this year, I may get out my mother's sterling silver tableware. If it's really tarnished, then I will use another set that I inherited from Craig's grandmother. It's not sterling so it doesn't tarnish, and actually I like it much better than my mom's set. It's old, too. I did some research a few years ago and it's from 1936.
I'll do a final check on the guest bedrooms and bathrooms, set out the platters and servers for the cheeseballs/appetizers table, tear up the bread for the stuffing, and maybe some laundry. Surely I will find other things that need to be done, too.
I can't wait until tomorrow!
***A tongue in cheek note to my children who I know are reading this: I'm glad you are such good parents. Truly I am. It's reassuring to me because you all played "Arrow of Darkness" in the pitch black of our basement. And one of you snuck out your bedroom window and onto the roof during nap time, waving at cars until our neighbor let me know what you were doing. A couple of you accidentally put a hole in your bedroom wall and stuffed it full of Barbies. Then there was one of you who figured out how to spider up the wall in an L-bend corner of the hallway and hung up there by the ceiling, surprising startling terrifying me when I came around the corner and spied you up there. So, so glad for the good parents that you all are!
Love, Your Mom who once brought a horse into the house when she was 17 and should have known better.
I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!!
I am soo tickled I have been on your overlook and enjoyed that view. Have a great Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteBest Tongue In Cheek note ever.
ReplyDelete