My kids read my blog. I love that - it's not a private, secret journal but one in which I welcome them and others to read as I write about my life.
And they do.
But that also means that once in a while I discover that I made an error in what I wrote. They don't always tell me about it, but if and when they do, I like to correct the record. So... here are two corrections.
Oops #1
Yesterday Jessica called me as she was heading with the kids to rehearsal.
As we talked, I was going on about her many roles in the production and she said, "Weeellll, Mom. That's actually not me in Lord Farquaad's court.
At eight or nine, Kyle was nearly blinded in his left eye when he got a stick poked into it.
That prompted some discussion among my kids as to what had really happened - there were several different memories. Finally, I asked Kyle himself. (Always go to the source! LOL)
He told me that he had been five or six and was playing with the boy who lived next door. They were having fun breaking sticks over their knees. Kyle had one that didn't snap, so he bent over it to give it more force.
The stick snapped while he was bent over his knee and the broken end of one piece slashed across his eyeball.
That story still gives me the shivers.
Of course, then the kids began asking me about other childhood incidents and if they had been as bad. Especially's Curt's own eye incident, and yes, it had indeed been bad.
He was nearly blinded while playing with a glow in the dark Super Ball in the windowless bathroom with the lights off. He threw it hard and it bounced back and hit him square in the eye. Curt never saw it coming as the room was pitch black and the ball was moving so fast.
I can still hear his scream.
Another visit to the ER and another bandage over an eye. The entire eyeball turned bright red from the broken blood vessels. Chilling for sure, but not quite as bad as a slashed eyeball. Curt's recovery was much longer, though, and he had to keep his eye still for several days.
Seems like there was one more Oops! I'd made recently but I can't remember what it was. Hopefully whoever mentioned it will let me know so I can fix it.
More coming today - stay 'tooned!


Well it is a small picture with everyone in costume so your error is forgivable! I think back to my injuries as a kid too and it’s a miracle I just healed up just like your boys but wow eye injuries are scary!
ReplyDeleteChildhood injuries are so scary, but an eye injury is especially so. Glad it turned out OK.
ReplyDeleteEyes are so fragile but also surprisingly resilient. Terrifiying tales!
ReplyDeletewell, that was me
ReplyDelete