Sunday, March 15, 2026

The BigSisterMomofsixGrandmotherGreatgrandmotherTeacher's Other Task

Remember that post about how the sewing for Kalamazoo was completed? And then I found several more projects to work on?

Well, after I wrapped those up, I did get started on a green striped petticoat, but then decided to set it aside until after the event was over. (It will be the start of my Feast sewing. That begins as soon as KZoo is finished.)

A few days ago, I spoke with Ethan and found out what my volunteer duties were. The first was to keep an eye on Leslie and do some big sister bossing if she needed it in order to ensure that she did not overdo things. (She is having back surgery shortly after KZoo.)

Not a problem. This bigsistermomofsixgrandmothergreatgrandmotherteacher can boss around give directions to recalcitrant sisters with the best of them.

But his second request gave me pause. 

"Any assistance in helping Paisley with the girls, especially Friday night, is helpful as well. She will have things managed, but an extra set of hands never hurts."

Wait a minute. How could I do that? I'd be setting up Friday night and doing it without the help I've had in the past. 

But you know, we bigsistersmomsofsixgrandmothersgreatgrandmothersteachers are well used to thinking on our feet and coming up with creative ideas and solutions. And I think I came up with something that will be helpful to Paisley, make the girls happy, and be useful throughout the weekend even when I am not there with Paisley in person to help.

Grabbing a couple of the more brightly colored block print fabric remnants and some paper, back to the sewing room I went. 


I drew a pattern, cut it out and made a child sized pocket.


Using 1/4" twill tape, I ran it through the top, and then secured it right in the middle with some stitches so that the girls would not accidentally pull the tape all the way through. (Paisley did not need to worry about fixing her child's pocket in the middle of the event!)

I was really happy with the so-called practice pocket; it's now one that I will give the girls.


The second pocket turned out equally well, and again, I secured the twill tape so they would not come out. (Adults have been known to pull the twill tape out of their pockets, too.)


Bonus: I played bobbin chicken with the second child's pocket and I won!


Pockets finished, I then got busy with the next part of the plan to help Paisley with the girls.

Off I went to do a little shopping.


This was going to be fun.

Stay 'tooned.

2 comments:

  1. If it's bobbin shoppin', you're lucky to have a store that stocks them. But enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hair in that last photo!

    ReplyDelete