Sunday, October 3, 2021

Done, but Not Done

Now that the riding habits are finished (happy dance!!) it is time to return all the habits I borrowed from my sister to help me understand how they were to be constructed. Leslie stopped by on her way into town to pick them up the other day.


The various pieces of some of her habits draped over my living room couch and ready to be returned.

She asked me to put my habit on so that she could see how it had turned out. Putting one on can be a bit of an undertaking, so I told her I'd just do the jacket and waistcoat. (Fabric clips are still on the collar but I'll remove them for the real deal.)


She decided to put her favorite jacket on, too. (Leslie is a cancer survivor and her face and hands are puffy from the meds she is on.)


Les helped me straighten my peplum so that I could press it so the folds fall correctly. (Pepper is photo bombing...)


I asked to look at how her jacket skirts fell for reference, and as I looked at them, I saw a problem.


The threads had given way at the top of one of the folds and needed to be repaired.


The gold braid on her jacket is very heavy and its weight has pulled the seam apart. It needed to be fixed, and fixed soon before the fabric ripped along with the stitching.


Since she will have to come back to get the jacket after I've repaired it, we decided to leave all the other pieces of her habits here until that's done. I moved them into the dining room to get them off the couch.

I'm not done yet- haha!




No comments:

Post a Comment