Friday, October 22, 2021

Great Lakes Congress: Pony Prep

Never have I waited until the day before I needed to leave for a show to decide which models were coming with me and then pack them. Until yesterday. 

I had been frantically sewing haversacks to restock the depleted Mercantile before taking it to Great Lakes Congress, and it wasn't until Wednesday evening that I finished and put the sewing machine away.


Thursday morning I downloaded the class list and began rounding up ponies. The show is halter and not double judged for collectibility as it has been in the past, so I pulled out the newer molds in my collection. (Although I did get my woodgrain 5 Gaiter with gold tenite sticker down from its shelf and pack it for the decorator class.)


There's an Anything Goes class at this show, and I decided I would recreate and modify an entry I'd once done for a photo show, only I decided to switch a few things up. The original idea was that Little Lynn and Circus Girl are reading my blog and find photos of themselves.


I got out my case of dolls and props and got started.


I took a photo of the blog entry that the girls were looking at in the photo show picture and then shrank it down to doll-size. As it printed, I found that not one but two ink tanks needed to be replaced!


This close to the show, I didn't have time to go get new cartridges, so I am making do with the greenish picture that printed out. I cut it out and glued it to the screen of the 1:9 computer prop that I have. As small as it is, I doubt the judge will notice it, but to me it represents attention to detail.

My idea may or may not work, but I had fun planning it despite the time crunch.


Because I will also be vending, I only packed about twenty models to show. The back seat of the car is already full with haversacks, so the show tubs will be going into the trunk.

Liz has invited me to come over early tomorrow and see a treasure trove of clothing from the early 20th century that she found and has displayed in several of her antique booths. (She has five booths scattered across the Chicago metro area.) I just need to pack my suitcase and pick up a treat for the judges and I'll be on my way early tomorrow.

I still can't believe I got my show string, albeit a small one, ready in just one day!


2 comments:

  1. Kudos for managing to blog on such a day! I love the idea of dolls viewing dolls viewing dolls viewing... well, Escher would have a field day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I love timaru star ii’s comment!

    ReplyDelete