Monday, February 12, 2024

Horsie Mama's Horsey Super Bowl - Answer Key

Here is the answer key to yesterday's questions. Remember, YOU need to score your own quiz and then send a screen shot, photo, or digital file of your answers to me at horsiemama8@gmail.com.

Please send your response to me no later than noon Eastern Time on Tuesday, February 13.

I am still thinking about what to do for prizes - stay 'tooned!

Photo from Google Images.


Horsie Mama's Horsey Super Bowl Quiz - Answer Key


1) What color or breed of horse has striped hooves?


Appaloosas, POAs, grey, spotted, or patterned horses are all acceptable answers..




2) Most mammals have this bodily function. Horses do not. What is it?


Horses are unable to vomit.




3) What country has the highest number of horses?


At more than 9 million, it is the United States.




4) About how long does a mare gestate?


Mares normally cary their foals for 11 months. (And I thought 9 months was a long time!)




5) How many horse years equal one human year?


There are two acceptable answers here: First, you can multiply the horse's age by 2.2. Second (and more complicated), counting the first year of a horse's life as 10 years, and then counting every year after that as two human years. 




6) Can horses get the hiccups?


Yes! When they do, they are called "thumps" that can be heard in the chest area.




7) When referring to horses, what is chrome?


That there is a lot of white on the legs. (If you said legs and face, count your answer as right.)




8) What is a numnah?


A small saddle pad often made of sheepskin or foam.




9) How many beats are there in the gallop?


Four! It is actually a different gait from the canter (three beats) with the legs falling (on a left lead) right hind, left hind, right fore, left fore.




10) What is a horse’s most natural gait?


The trot. 




11) What is the difference between a stripe and a blaze?


Their width. A stripe is narrower than a blaze.




12) In horse racing, what is the term for 1/8 of a mile?


A furlong.




13) What do you call the side of the horse that is on the rider’s right when in the saddle?


The off side.




14) Used mostly in western riding, what is a short handled, flexible braided leather crop called?


A quirt. (I used this word once while playing Scrabble with my family and they thought I had made it up!)




15) What NFL team has a horse as a mascot that races across the field when its team scores?


The Denver Broncos.




Bonus Points: 


16) Name that horse in question 15.


Thunder. 



17) Name the rider of the horse in question 16.


Ann Judge (also acceptable is Ann Judge-Wegener.)




Photos of Thunder and Ann from Google Images. 

Questions were taken from various equine quizzes and questionnaires found on Horse & Rider and Learn About Horses as well as my own knowledge.



2 comments:

  1. I never thought I'd say this about taking a quiz but that was fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thunder. Of course. I even knew it was a Breyer model, but couldn't recall the name. I'm learning just how much I rely on Google!

    ReplyDelete