Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Kathy's Collection

Today we are going to take a peek at Kathy's collection, but first, a clarification. I goofed in what I wrote about when I first realized that she was a collector. She writes,

Actually, Lynn saw a black china horse on my piano and commented that she had the same one. I said I have some more upstairs, would you like to see them ? Not knowing about "the hobby" I had no idea why she got so excited over my blue horse. (That horse has its own backstory). Anyway, it was the start of a life long friendship and I count myself fortunate that we were brought together 💕

So do I, Kat, so do I. (And she is going to share the back story about the blue horse tomorrow.)

Now, a little background about her current collection. When Kathy and her husband moved to Tennessee, my understanding was that she had sold her collection, maybe keeping a sentimental piece or two. And that made me sad because I knew how much she loved them. Having said that, I also understood the need to pare things down - I'm doing it myself at the moment.

It turns out that that was a misperception on my part.

Fast forward to a week or so ago and Kat mentioned that she kept her Breyer ornaments out on display year round. I asked if I could see a picture of them them 


and discovered that that horsey Christmas tree


was only a part of the horses she had on display.


I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped when I saw this picture! Do you see what I see? (Kat, that is a gorgeous display unit!)


The Clock Saddlebred from Breyer's 50th anniversary!! 


The 50th Anniversary Carousel Horse! 


Early porcelains!


Animal Artistry, Hagen Renakers, 


Beswicks, Japans, and others whose names escape me. (The lying Clydesdale mare and foal are old favorites of mine - they're resin if I remember right, but the company's name escapes me. (Corlette?)


North Lights! Metals! Misty! Stablemates!

I was so happy to discover that Kat had kept more than just one or two pieces from her collection - she had kept a lot!

Tomorrow we will take a look at the models that started it all and then hear the story of her marvelous "blue horse."

Stay 'tooned!




3 comments:

  1. I am loving your blog this week. These kinds of stories of hobbyists meeting and becoming friends are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct on the laying mare and foal, Corlette. They always showed well and top tenned at NAN. Two Misty's as I bought one as a "second" to repaint however when she arrived I could find no flaws. She is darker with very nice shading and so stayed OF. 3 H-R Clydesdales because, well, color variations 😂.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice collection. Very much like what I have left. I have most of those same Porcelains tucked here and there in my shelving.

    ReplyDelete