From the Vintage Collectors Club's inception in 2012 and then through 2023, the belly stamp always featured a model for the year, one that would be included as one of that year's four club pieces. It was done in gold and seemed rather fancy - fitting (in my mind, at least) of the respect Breyer's vintage molds and models deserved.
For 2012, the very first club offering was on the Clydesdale Stallion mold and included a mini Fighting Stallion, one of Breyer's most iconic molds.
At the time we didn't know what to expect so many collectors, myself included, did not realize that the belly stamp model would always be a foreshadowing of a model to come during that year.
All Vintage Club models after King, though had some sort of belly stamp.
2014 was the Semi Rearing Mustang. (My favorite mold! I was so excited!)
2015 the Running Stallion (along with a change in ink color to black.).
The iconic Western Horse for 2020. (Gold ink!)
In 2023, Thunderbird, like King in 2012, did not appear to have a stamp. Savvy collectors now knew to keep looking.
Needless to say, after twelve years of (mostly) gold belly stamps featuring a mold that would be a part of that year's four offerings, I was surprised when I flipped Scorpion over to see the 2024 belly stamp.
And I was disappointed. It's not gold and it doesn't offer a sneak peek at one of this year's pieces. It's just a plain old belly stamp and not very special. (It's also missing the "s" in the word "Collectors.")
The belly stamp has been a nice perk and a fun clue into what's to come for twelve years, but I'm not participating in the Vintage Club for the belly stamps - I'm a club member for the models first and foremost. I am already looking forward to finding out what the next model will be.















Putting it all together like this is fascinating. Thank you for a job well done! Not being a Vintage member, I had little to no idea...
ReplyDelete