Saturday, February 3, 2024

That Dreaded Sound

This was me yesterday.


 One sad, deflated balloon.

I'd gone antiquing to a store I rarely visit to look for HSOs. After all, I have lots of new space on my shelves, right? (So much for the talk about paring down the collection!)

I found a lot of things that tempted me.


and things for other people.


Like two shelves chock full of Nancy Drew books.


Teacher Daughter Lisa collects and reads Nancy Drew books. 


I found six that were on her list and brought them home for her. 


This book plate was inside the cover of several of the books that I brought home. It figures, right? But the books went home with Lisa and so I don't have to look at those unicorns again.

And then I spied a familiar gold and black sticker.


Tucked in with some other Siamese cats that were clearly not Hagen Renakers was a Designers Workshop Quan Yen.

I don't collect Hagen Renaker cats, but my friend Liz Cory does, so I snapped it up and bought it.

It was carefully wrapped in bubble wrap and I kept it separate from the books I'd bought when I put it in the car. I did not want it to break!


To say I was excited was an understatement. To find a Designers Workshop Hagen Renaker in the wild is always fun, and this piece was old and in perfect condition.


Or rather, it WAS in perfect condition. 

I broke it after I got home. I set the Quan Yen on top of the other package as I was unpacking and it slid off. I heard that "clink" that all china collectors dread, and my heart sank. I knew I'd just broken a beautiful piece that had survived unscathed for decades.

Liz was super nice and understanding about it. She told me that these things happen (she's right) and she'd still like to have the piece. I've already got it packed in the L bag and we will work it out at the March GLC show.

I'm still feeling a little sad this morning. Such a beautiful piece! I hope that Liz can either repair it herself or find someone who can fix it and get it back to its former beauty.

I did bring something else home that is going on one of the newly cleared shelves. It makes me smile, and I think you will see why when you see it.

Stay 'tooned!


Don't forget the Give Away! Entires are accepted until 11:59 PM Eastern Time Sunday, February 4.


Enter by making a blog comment or emailing me at horsiemama8@gmail.com. One comment per day only, please.




4 comments:

  1. Poor Lynn! It hurts, doesn't it,... that's the price of dealing with chinas and with being human, I think. Liz is right. Take a breath, these things happen. Maybe it had a preexisting crack (spoken by a person who is having their windshield replaced for just that, Ouch!). If it's any comfort, you're not alone; I once broke an HR Zara by crawling under its table... (I was young and stupid!).

    That unicorn bookplate is familiar. I think some of those plates passed through my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! That’s exactly why, even though this year’s BF Fighting Stallion crystal is a “want”, I decided I am not getting it! Too many cats in my house!

    “The Clue in the Jewel Box” is a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How heart-breaking but like SBY said, these things happen. And yes, we're only human. Virtual hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some days you catch a falling star, and some days you don't catch a falling clinky. I hope tomorrow inflates your balloon again!
    Betsy In WI

    ReplyDelete