Making a virtual seminar may sound easy (just film and go!) but trust me, it is not. It is a process that requires lots of planning and preparation, coordinating time (and lighting) for filming, lots of editing, working through tech issues, watching drafts, more editing, and finally, getting all that done and the video sent off to Breyer in time for their deadline for completion.
Preparation for a virtual seminar also includes doing some set up in the area we plan to film in and finding someone to do the filming for me. I also need someone to edit it; luckily I have some very tech savvy kids and Jessica, Cole, Kyle, Vanessa, and Andrew can all step up and help me. (And have.)
This is how my sewing room looked as Teacher Daughter Lisa and I got ready to film this year's virtual seminar on making a basic pony pouch.
I have to be careful about those windows overlooking our back yard. Craig and Nash made a surprise appearance last year in the show apron virtual seminar when he took Nash out to do his business! They meandered right across the yard, although luckily the actual business side of their back yard jaunt was not caught on tape!
There is always some "volunteer help" that needs to be addressed, too. I shut the doors to keep these furry volunteers out, but all of them know how to get into the sewing room by short cutting through the Jack and Jill bathroom. Both Pepper and Nash have joyfully popped in ("Hooray! I found you!!") at inopportune times necessitating some re-takes!
Sample pony pouches, models inside, set out and ready to be filmed.
The seminar is filmed in 3-5 minute takes. I get ready for the next take, Lisa counts down while I watch her, and when she says, "Go," I begin the next segment.
When filming is over, I watch all the clips, make notes about using them in the video, then send them on for editing. Mountain Mama Jessica did this year's film for me. (It turned out really nice - I am so happy with it!)
She puts the segments together and then send me a rough cut. I watch that, making notes on any changes that I'd like and send it back to her. Jessica makes those changes, adds a title page, a supply list, and then an acknowledgement page at the very end.
I watch the final product again, and unless I see a change I'd like to have made, the video is done.
The last thing to do is to send it to Breyer. I take some pictures for advertising the virtual seminar on Breyer's web page, write up a little blurb to accompany it along with a supply list, and send everything on to Breyer.
Breyer previews the video, chooses a photo from those I've sent, and then puts it all together for the web site.
At last, everything is done and I can sit back and take a breath. I also look forward to watching it during BreyerFest. I may have watched the final product many times before that (at least 5 times as of today), but it is really fun to click on a BreyerFest link and see something you produced pop up.
In an upcoming blog post I will share how I became a presenter and some possible steps you might take if you want to do it, too.
Stay 'tooned!
Thanks for taking the time to explain the filming procedure. That's quite a production but IMHO this would be filed under a 'labor of love'.
ReplyDeleteWhat a rush to have your seminar included at Breyerfest! Congratulations (again).