Sunday, May 12, 2024

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day!

As I looked for the more traditional photos of my mother, maybe one of us together, her at The Feast of the Hunters' Moon in period clothing, and so on, I came across this old picture.

Mom, the beauty queen! Although actually, she wasn't queened for beauty, she was a railroad queen. Miss West Lafayette for the Monon Railroad, 1947!


That's her in the white dress alongside Miss Lafayette, the mayors of the two towns, and an official from the Monon Railroad. Oh, and a Monon engine behind her on the tracks. (She would soon climb into one of its cars and set off on a whistle top tour along the Monon line.)****

Look closely at her dress - someone sewed arrows onto it that would point to her banner! I think that is hilarious.


There's a fun story behind her being a Queen of the Monon and you can read more here. (Here she is in the front row with the other queens, one from each town the train passed through.)

My day looks to be a very nice one and shared with those I love most.

Hawkeye Sarah sent me this lovely bouquet yesterday (ironically sitting next to my Grandpa Martin's railroad lantern; he was a conductor for the railroad.)

This morning Pony Pal Mila will be singing a Mother's Day song in a quintet at Church and then Teacher Daughter Lisa is cooking me my favorite comfort food for dinner (porcupine meatballs!) while Craig will make homemade mashed potatoes to pair with them.  I'll talk to my kids on the phone and enjoy a nice, reflective day. 


Me with Sarah, Kyle, Jessica, Curt, Lisa, and Cole in Salt Lake City, 1989.


I am excited that I can finally share Titan's most recent musical video.


It's a Mother's Day song, but it is inclusive and acknowledges the way that all women, mothers or not, influence and make our world a better place.

Mountain Mama Jessica (front row in khaki) was invited to be in the video, too!


The Ones Who Mother Me by Angie Killian

Enjoy the video, and whether you are a mom or not, I hope you also enjoy this day that recognizes the bright spot that women are in our world.


**** Interestingly enough, in the 1980s my mother was a leader in Lafayette's Railroad Location Project, a $186 million dollar project that moved the active railroad lines out of the middle of the streets of downtown and to elevated tracks.

Don't forget the Give Away of the black Angus Bull! Enter by commenting now though Tuesday at 11:59 PM.



2 comments:

  1. happy mothers day to you Lynn! Thank you for sharing the beautiful photos of you mom and her life history, I love hearing peoples family histories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those pictures! You and your mom look so alike!

    ReplyDelete