Thursday, October 9, 2025

And It's Up!

Thanks to Craig, Curt, and Rick, the Jolis Chevaux tent is up!

This is my fourth year at spot 353 so finding my place is easy peasy. 

Rick and Leslie set up their tent yesterday, too. She had to leave for an appointment, but Rick hung around for a bit to see if we needed any help.


He and I put the tent poles around the perimeter and then laid the canvas roof down while we waited for Curt and Craig to arrive. He went off to do other things to get Chien Noir ready when they reassured him that they would be fine.


My role at this point was to sit at a corner pole and hang on to it for dear life, keeping it upright while they set the other three corner poles in. Yeah, hanging onto a pole while two men pull it away from you. While seated on a walker. Which has wheels. Yep!


Once the corner poles were set, then two interior poles and a brace were set, raising the roof. The corner poles were straightened and tightened and the tent roof was finished.

After that, the minor poles went in all around the perimeter. That was something I could help with, although I could not put in the tent stakes or ropes.

Across the field from us, another group was setting up, and a young man was having fun with the stakes by throwing them into the ground. Curt decided to try that and he accomplished it with every one!


Until I started filming him. But you can see enough to get the gist. 

And I have to share this video of Lukie helping set the tent up three years ago. 


We'd given him a stake and a hammer to keep him busy while we worked, and that kid got his stake into the ground so firmly that none of us could pull it out! We had to borrow a stake puller from a neighbor and even then, it was tough!

Fond memories that still make me smile.


After the top was up and all the side poles in place, we set up the tables that were provided for me.


"These are HEAVY!" Curt exclaimed. "They must be 50 years old!"

And they probably are - this is the 58th year of The Feast of the Hunters' Moon. 


The last step? To put up the sides. I love this shadow play of Curt as he works.


UN-hooking them to get inside will be hard for me. The canvas is very heavy and you have to lift it to unhook the canvas and open the tent. Plus, I am short enough that it's a real stretch for me to grab the hooks. Luckily, re-enactors are a friendly group and willing to help, so if I need to, I can ask a neighbor.


Finally, all the things I'd brought out were unloaded into the tent and the clothing racks put together and we were done.


Some pictures as we finished up - I am so grateful for the help.


The front of the tent - those ties behind Craig's arm are the door's opening. 


Today I will bring out all the clothing I have made, get that onto the racks, set up the beeswax ornaments, sleeve buttons, and prepare the space for the maple cakes. (Those I will bring out tomorrow.)


There is still a lot of work to do, but I have two more days of set up and am surprisingly calm at this point.


Tomorrow is Feast School Days (3,000+ students are registered to attend) and so I want to set that up today, too. (I'll bring the saddles out tomorrow.) Belle and I will be heading out tomorrow morning at 8:00 and talking with kids until 2:00. 

Hope I have a voice left!


1 comment:

  1. Good weather for tent setting. I hope that holds through the weekend for you. mmmmaple cakes!

    ReplyDelete